Crusaders Set To Host Two Patriot League Games This Weekend
Overall: 3-4-1 (0-0-1 PL); Last
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 0, Lafayette 0, Worcester, Mass., 10/2
Schedule: Tuesday, Oct. 5 at Brown, Providence, R.I., 5:00 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 8 vs. American, Worcester, Mass., 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 10 vs. Navy, Worcester, Mass., 1:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross women's soccer team (3-4-2 overall, 0-0-1 Patriot League) will travel for a mid-week game at Brown (4-3-3, 0-1-1 Ivy League) on Wednesday, Oct. 5 before hosting Patriot League opponent American (4-9-0, 0-1-0) on Friday, Oct. 8 and league-foe Navy (8-5-1, 1-0-0) on Sunday, Oct. 10.
- It its last two games, Brown has played to double overtime ties. The Bears are coming off a 0-0 double overtime tie with league opponent Columbia on Saturday, Oct. 2 and a 2-2 double overtime tie with New Hampshire on Sept. 29.
- Two of Brown's four wins have come against Patriot League teams, as the Bears defeated Colgate, 3-0, on Sept. 5 and took down Army 2-1 in overtime on Sept. 15. Holy Cross will play at Colgate on Oct. 22 and close out the regular season at home with Army on Oct. 29.
- Holy Cross is 3-11-4 all-time against Brown, as last season the two teams played to a 2-2 double overtime tie in Worcester. Holy Cross' last victory over the Bears was on Sept. 28, 1999. The 1-0 victory sparked a 10-game win streak for the Crusaders, ending on Nov. 6 in a 1-0 loss to Colgate in the Patriot League Tournament semifinals.
- After starting the season with eight straight losses, American rebounded for three wins before falling to Bucknell, 3-0, in its Patriot League season opener on Saturday, Oct. 2. The Eagles returned to the winner's column with a double overtime win over Princeton on Monday, Oct. 4 to pick up their fourth win of the season.
- The Mids will play at Army on Friday, Oct. 8 before traveling to Worcester on Sunday, Oct. 10. Navy is riding a four game win streak, as it shut out Colgate, 2-0, on Oct. 1 for its third consecutive win and then defeated Delaware State, 6-0, on Sunday, Oct. 3 to extend its win streak to four games.
- The Crusaders are 2-6-1 all-time against the Eagles and hold a 2-13-1 all-time record against the Mids. A year ago, Holy Cross fell 0-2 against both teams on the road. When Holy Cross hosted both teams in 2008, the Crusaders tied American, 1-1, in double overtime, before falling to Navy 3-2 in double overtime two days later. Holy Cross' last win against American was on Sept. 29, 2002, when the Crusaders defeated the Eagles 5-1 in Worcester. Holy Cross' last win against Navy also occurred in Worcester, as the Crusaders defeated the Mids 1-0 on Sept. 23, 2000.
- With the opening weekend of Patriot League action out of the way, the Crusaders rank tied for fourth with Lafayette with one point. Three teams, Army, Navy and Bucknell, remain undefeated, while American, Lehigh and Colgate suffered losses.
- Despite not scoring last week, senior Shelby Stand (Douglas, Mass.) continues to lead the Patriot League in shots (52), shots per game (5.78), goals per game (0.67) and points per game (1.78). Stand also remains nationally ranked in the top 50 in two categories, including tied for 27th in points per game and tied for 42nd in goals per game.
- Senior netminder Mary Ferketic (West Hartford, Conn.) earned her first shutout of the season against Lafayette. Ferketic has recorded five career shutouts in goal for the Crusaders and ranks tied for sixth on Holy Cross' record list.