Women's Ice Hockey Shuts Out Plymouth State, 5-0

Mary Klimasewiski

Plymouth, N.H. – Sophomore Mary Klimasewiski (Cochester, Conn.) recorded her first career hat trick and senior Alex Campione (Townsend, Mass.) added two goals of her own as the Holy Cross women's ice hockey team shut out Plymouth State on Friday evening, 5-0. The Crusaders improve to 12-4-2 on the season and 6-3-2 in ECAC East action while the Panthers fall to 3-13-2 (2-7-2 ECAC East).

Klimasewiski got the Crusaders on the board late in the first period with just 1:34 remaining off assists from sophomore Rebecca Fleming (Newton, Mass.) and freshman Mackenzie Boardman (Anchorage, Alaska). Holy Cross outshot Plymouth State 10-3 in the first frame and took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission.

Campione increased the Holy Cross lead to 2-0 with 12:43 remaining in the second period off a pass from fellow classmate Alyssa Ruhland (Minneapolis, Minn.) The Crusaders then scored two goals in a span of 19 seconds with the first coming on a power play as Campione buried the puck in the back of the net with help from Fleming and sophomore Francesca Panarelli (Shrewsbury, Mass.) with 2:38 remaining in the stanza. Klimasewiski then took passes from freshman Kati Goguen (Acton, Mass.) and sophomore Chelsea Monahan (Cherry Hill, N.J.) with 2:19 remaining and beat Panther goaltender Ali Ponte to give the Crusaders a comfortable 4-0 lead going into the third period.

Despite a Holy Cross penalty with 3:01 remaining, Klimasewiski recorded the hat that trick in shorthanded, unassisted fashion. It was the first hat trick of the season for the Crusaders and the first since graduate Stacey Hochkns achieved the feat on Jan. 20, 2012.

Holy Cross sophomore goaltender Krista Manzanares (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.) stopped all 15 shots she faced for her third shutout of the season and improves to 8-2-0 on the year. Ponte made 35 saves and is now 2-8-2. The Crusaders outshot Plymouth State 40-15 in the game.

The Crusaders will return to the ice tomorrow afternoon on the road at Southern Maine at 1:00 p.m.