Women's Ice Hockey Looks Ahead To 2013
Overall: 7-4-1 (4-3-1 ECAC East); Last Week: 1-1-0
Schedule: Friday, Jan. 11 at Rutland Herald Invitational vs. Sacred Heart, Rutland, Vt., 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, Jan. 12 at Rutland Herald Invitational vs. Castleton State or Franklin Pierce, Rutland, Vt., TBA
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 2, Connecticut College 0, Worcester, Mass., 12/4
Bowdoin 4, Holy Cross 1, Brunswick, Maine, 12/7
- The Holy Cross women's ice hockey team will have five weeks off before returning to the ice at the Rutland Herald Invitational hosted by Castleton State on Friday-Saturday, Jan. 11-12, in Rutland, Vt. The Crusaders will take on Sacred Heart in the first round at 7:00 p.m. and face either Castleton State or Franklin Pierce in round two.
- Sacred Heart is currently 7-8-1 and coming off a 5-3 victory over Wesleyan (12/8). The Pioneers will open the 2013 portion of their season on Jan. 4 at the two-day Double Tree Ice Hockey Classic against St. Michael's at 7:00 p.m. They will then play Nichols on Jan. 5 and travel to Southern Maine for two contests on Jan. 8-9 before the Rutland Herald Invitational. Sophomore forward Casey Stathopoulos leads the team with seven goals and seven assists for 14 points. Four different goaltenders have seen action thus far for Sacred Heart with junior Alexius Schutt seeing the most time between the pipes with nine starts. She has made 297 saves and holds a save percentage of .897.
- Castleton State is currently 6-3-1 (4-2-1 ECAC East) on the season and will play at Potsdam State on Tuesday, Jan. 8, before hosting Franklin Pierce in the first round of the Rutland Herald Invitational. Freshmen Anna Daniels and Nicoline Jensen are tied for the team lead with 13 points as Daniels has scored a team-high seven goals and added six assists while Jensen has five goals and eight helpers. Sophomore goaltender Paula Stephens has made 246 saves in just over 544 minutes of action and holds a record of 5-3-1 with a .935 save percentage and 1.87 goals-against average.
- Franklin Pierce sits at 4-6 on the season and will host St. Anselm on Sunday, Jan. 6, before facing Castleton State in the first round of the Rutland Herald Invitational. Freshman Karsyn Baker leads the team with 16 points on five goals and a team-high 11 assists. Freshman Colleen Doucette holds the team lead in goals with seven. Junior Amelea Gray has made 196 saves in 10 games with a goals-against average of 2.90 and save percentage of .879.
- Holy Cross is coming off a 4-1 loss at Bowdoin (12/7) where senior Alex Campione (Townsend, Mass.) scored the lone Crusader goal. Prior to that, the team shutout Connecticut College at home, 2-0, on Dec. 4 as sophomore Nicole Giannino (Bay Shore, N.Y.) scored both Holy Cross goals.
- Sophomore goaltender Alexandra Stevenson (Norwood, N.Y.) was named ECAC East Women's Ice Hockey Goalie of the Week for her performance against Connecticut College. She recorded her first career shutout while making 22 saves and fighting off seven Camels' power play opportunities. This is the second time Stevenson has been recognized by the league after she earned Goalie of the Week for her performance Nov. 19-25.
- Sophomore Rebecca Fleming (Newton, Mass.) now holds the team-lead in goals with six and is tied with seniors Rebecca O'Quinn (Arlington, Mass.) and Caroline English (Dorchester, Mass.) with 10 points. O'Quinn has totaled five goals and five assists while English has recorded two goals and eight assists.
- The Crusaders have now netted four power play goals at home this season. Every time the Holy Cross women's hockey team scores a power play goal in the Hart Center money pledged will benefit PINK Revolution. PINK Revolution is an alliance of dedicated individuals with a unified commitment to those touched by breast cancer. Its mission is to support early detection and prevention strategies, fund clinical research advancements and promote survivorship programs in Central Mass. through its affiliation with the UMass Memorial Comprehensive Breast Center. For more information and to donate go here: http://www.powerplaypointsforpink.com/.
- Get all the latest news and results on the Holy Cross women's hockey team sent directly to your e-mail. To sign up for e-mail alerts go here: http://www.goholycross.com/list-signup