Women's Ice Hockey Returns To League Play This Weekend
Overall: 5-2-1 (3-2-1 ECAC East); Last Week: 1-0-0
Schedule: Saturday, Dec. 1 vs. St. Michael's, Worcester, Mass., 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, Dec. 2 vs. No. 3 Norwich, Worcester, Mass., 4:00 p.m.
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 2, Wesleyan 1, Worcester, Mass., 11/25
- The Holy Cross women's ice hockey team will return to the Hart Center this weekend to take on two ECAC East opponents. The Crusaders will face-off against St. Michael's on Saturday, Dec. 1, at 7:30 p.m. while No. 3 Norwich comes to Worcester on Sunday, Dec. 2, for a 4:00 p.m. contest.
- St. Michael's opens its season with eight straight ECAC East matchups and has accumulated a record of 1-5 thus far on the young season. The lone win for the Purple Knights came against Plymouth State (11/10) by a score of 4-0. St. Michael's began the 2012-2013 campaign with losses to New England College (11/2, 4-1), Castleton State (11/3, 5-0) and Southern Maine (11/9, 2-1). Most recently, the team was shut out by St. Anselm (11/16) by a score of 4-0 and lost a close game with UMass Boston (11/17) by a tally of 5-4. The Purple Knights will travel to Salve Regina on Friday Nov. 30 before their visit to Worcester on Saturday.
- The Purple Knights are led statistically by senior defenseman Allison Graf who has totaled one goal and two assists for three points. Senior Madelena Santore, junior Tracy Stevenson and sophomore Kristen Spulecki are all tied for the team lead with two goals. In the crease, Senior Erin Stevens has made 216 saves in five games and holds a .915 save percentage.
- Norwich currently holds a record of 5-1-2 and has had two weeks to prepare for the Crusaders, having not played a game since a 4-3 overtime loss to St. Anselm on November 17. It was the Cadets first loss of the season. Norwich defeated Ontario Hockey Academy (10/18) before tying nationally ranked opponents in Elmira and Plattsburgh State at the East/West Hockey Classic (10/27-10/28). The team then rattled off five straight wins against ECAC East opponents before the loss to St. Anselm.
- The Cadets are led by junior forward Tori Charron who has netted an ECAC East-best eight goals and added six assists for a league-high mark of 14 points. Sophomore Loren Carrier has seen the most time in goal for Norwich, amassing a record of 4-1-2 while making 96 saves. She holds a .906 save percentage and 1.43 goals-against average on the season.
- The Crusaders are coming off a 2-1 victory over Wesleyan in non-conference action. Sophomore Rebecca Fleming (Newton, Mass.) scored her third career game-winning goal and first of the 2012-2013 season to lift Holy Cross over the Cardinals. Junior Emily Sullivan (Arlington, Mass.) also netted her first goal of the season in the game.
- Senior Rebecca O'Quinn (Arlington, Mass.) leads the Holy Cross statistics with four goals and five assists for nine points. Fleming now holds the team lead in goals with five. Senior Caroline English (Dorchester, Mass.) and sophomore Francesca Panarelli (Shrewsbury, Mass.) are tied for the team lead in assists with six.
- Sophomore goaltender Alexandra Stevenson (Norwood, N.Y.) was awarded ECAC East Goalie of the Week honors for her performance against Wesleyan. She made 13 saves in the game with the lone goal coming while the Cardinals were on the power play. This is the first time Stevenson has received league recognition and the first time since the 2009 season any Holy Cross net minder has won the Goalie of the Week honor. She is now 2-1-1 on the season.
- Stevenson and fellow classmate Krista Manzanares (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.) have shared time in the crease this season for the Crusaders. Manzanares has tallied 240:00 minutes of ice action, making 79 saves in four games for a save percentage of .929 and goals-against average of 1.50. Stevenson has been on the ice for 240:57 minutes and has stopped 78 shots over four games for a save percentage of .918 and goals-against average of 1.74.