January 10, 2012
WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY
Crusaders Return To Action Against Salve Regina
WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY
Overall: 9-1-2 (6-1-0 ECAC)
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 2, Connecticut College 2 OT, New London, Conn., 12/7
Schedule: Saturday, January 14th – 3:30 pm vs. Salve Regina
- The Holy Cross women's ice hockey team (9-1-2 overall, 6-1-0 ECAC) will play its first game of 2012 against Salve Regina (5-4-2 overall, 3-3-1 ECAC) on Saturday, January 14 at 3:30 p.m. at the Hart Center in Worcester, Mass. This will be the second meeting of the season between the teams, with Holy Cross winning the first affair 3-0. All-time, Salve Regina is winless against the Crusaders, with a record of 0-22-1. Salve Regina will be playing at Wesleyan (2-10-0) on Tuesday, January 10.
- Holy Cross heads into the New Year in second place in the ECAC East with a 6-1-0 conference record and 12 points in the league standings. The team's only loss came from conference leading Norwich, which has an 8-0-1 conference record and 17 points in the league standings. The two teams will square off again in the regular season finale on Feb. 18.
- The team looks to continue its third strongest start ever with success against Salve Regina and in upcoming games on the road at Castleton (Jan. 20) and New England College (Jan. 21). Holy Cross will close out January with a three-game homestead versus Plymouth (Jan. 27), Southern Maine (Jan. 28), and Colby (Jan. 31). Last year, the Crusaders went 5-1 against these opponents, outscoring them 31-9.
- Holy Cross has three players in the top 10 in goal scoring in the ECAC East. Senior Stacey Hochkins (New Boston, Mich) is tied for second with 13 goals, senior Nicola Garat (Princeton, N.J.) is tied for sixth with eight goals, and junior Caroline English (Dorchester, Mass.) is currently tied in ninth with seven goals.
- Hochkins is also currently ranked 12th in the nation with 21 points scored (13 goals, eight assists).
- Freshman defender Francesca Panarelli (Shrewsbury, Mass.) is fourth in the ECAC in defenseman scoring, with 10 points (one goal, nine assists).