WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY
Overall: 9-1-2 (6-1-0 ECAC); Last Week: 0-0-1
Scoreboard: Holy Cross 2, Connecticut College 2 OT, New London, Conn., 12/7
Schedule: No scheduled competition.
- The Holy Cross women's ice hockey team (9-1-2 overall, 6-1-0 ECAC) played their last game of 2011 on Dec. 12, skating to a 2-2 overtime tie at Connecticut College in a non-league matchup. The team will take a five-week break between semesters before returning to action in mid-January.
- Holy Cross heads into the break in second place in the ECAC East with a 6-1-0 conference record and 12 points in the league standings. Norwich remains in first place with a 7-0-1 conference record and 15 points in the league standings. The two teams will square off again in the regular season finale on Feb. 18.
- The Crusaders have a recent history of strong starts to the season. This year's squad has a record of 9-1-2, which is the third strongest start to the season in program history. The 2008-2009 team went into the semester break with a 10-0-1 record and the 2009-2011 team headed into the holidays with a 9-0-1 overall record.
- Holy Cross is averaging 4.25 goals per game, which ranks second in the ECAC East. The team also ranks second in team defense, allowing just 1.67 goals per game.
- Three Crusaders currently rank in the top ten in point scoring for the ECAC East. Senior Stacey Hochkins (New Boston, Mich) is second in the conference with 21 points (13 goals, eight assists), senior Nicola Garat (Princeton, N.J.) is tied for fourth with 16 points (eight goals, eight assists) and junior Caroline English (Dorchester, Mass.) ranks ninth with 11 points (seven goals, five assists).
- Freshman goalie Krista Manzanares (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif.) ranks second in the ECAC East in both goals against average (0.98 goals/game) and in save percentage (.947) yielding four goals off of 76 shots.
- Holy Cross resumes its schedule on Jan. 14 against fifth place Salve Regina for an ECAC East contest beginning at 3:30 p.m at the Hart Center in Worcester, Mass.