WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY
Schedule: Friday, Nov. 4 at Salve Regina, Newport, R.I., 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 5 vs. Sacred Heart, Worcester, Mass., 2:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross women's ice hockey team will drop the first puck of the 2011-2012 season on Friday, Nov. 4 when they travel to Newport, R.I. for a 6:00 p.m. game against Salve Regina. The game will be the season opener for both teams. The Crusaders will host Sacred Heart the next day on Saturday, Nov. 5 at 2:00 p.m. in Worcester, Mass.
- Holy Cross is 20-0-1 all-time against Salve Regina, last defeating the Seahawks by a score of 3-2 in the Crusaders 2010-2011 opener in Newport, R.I. Holy Cross is 8-3-1 all-time in season-opening games.
- Senior Stacey Hochkins (New Boston, Mich.) has scored seven goals in her three career season-opening games. In 2008-2009 as a freshman, Hochkins started the season with her first career hat trick in Holy Cross' 10-0 win over Nichols. In 2009-2010 as a sophomore, Hochkins scored four goals in the Crusaders' 6-2 season-opening win over UMass-Boston. Hochkins recorded an assist in the opener against Salve Regina a year ago.
- Head coach Peter Van Buskirk returns 15 letterwinners from a team that went 17-9-1 a year ago, including seniors Carly Dominick-Sobol (Syracuse, N.Y.), Nicola Garat (Princeton, N.J.), Hochkins and Amy Pfund (Tenafly, N.J.)
- For the second consecutive season, Hochkins will serve as captain. The senior forward led the Crusaders with 24 goals and 22 assists for 46 points last season. She broke the Holy Cross career goals record and finished the season ranked first all-time with 75 career goals and second with 143 points and 68 assists. Dominick-Sobol and junior Caroline English (Dorchester, Mass.) will serve as assistant captains for the 2011-12 campaign.
- Van Buskirk will lead from the Holy Cross bench for the 12th season. Van Buskirk has accumulated an impressive 161-107-17 record over 11 seasons as head coach of the Crusaders, including guiding the team to its third consecutive ECAC Open title a year ago.