Overall Record: 0-0
Schedule: Friday, Nov. 6, at UMass-Boston, Boston, Mass., 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 7, vs. Salve Regina, Worcester, Mass. 2:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross women's ice hockey team will kick off the 2009-2010 season on the road at UMass-Boston on Friday, Nov. 6 at 7:00 p.m. and then return to Worcester for its home-opener against Salve Regina on Saturday, Nov. 7 at 2:00 p.m. Holy Cross completed the 2008-2009 season with a 1-0-1 against UMass-Boston and a 2-0 record over Salve Regina.
- Holy Cross returns 15 from last season's team, including ECAC Rookie of the Year, sophomore Stacey Hochkins (New Boston, Mich.). Last season, Hochkins led Holy Cross and the ECAC in points (53), goals scored (25), assists (28), short-handed points (9), short-handed goals (7) and freshman scoring. She was named to the first team All-ECAC East and to the ECAC All-Rookie team. Hochkins was named ECAC East Rookie of the Week three times and Player of the Week once and she set new Holy Cross single-season records for points and assists.
- Seniors Lisa Wilson (Corunna, Ontario) and Kathryn O'Connor (Brookfield, Conn.) will serve as captains for this year's team. Last season, Wilson was named to the ECAC Open All-Tournament team and to the All-ECAC East second team, while O'Connor's 10 goals were fourth on the team and she was named to the ECAC East All-Academic team.
- 2009 ECAC East Coach of the Year, Peter Van Buskirk returns for his 10th season in 2009-2010 as head coach. He has accumulated a 124-94-14 record over nine seasons. Last season, Van Buskirk led the Crusaders to an ECAC East regular season title, an ECAC Open Championship and a school record 24 wins (24-2-1). Holy Cross' 117 single-season goals scored ranks number one all-time at Holy Cross, its 37 single-season goals allowed are the fewest all-time and its seven shutouts are second all-time. Van Buskirk coached the ECAC East Rookie of the Year, had three student-athletes make the ECAC East All-Conference team and had five student-athletes named to the ECAC East All-Academic team.
- Holy Cross was selected to finish second in the 2009-2010 ECAC Women's East Hockey League preseason poll as voted on by coaches from the league. ECAC rival, Manhattanville was selected as the preseason favorite with 168 total points and five first place votes, while Norwich was selected third with 130 points and three first place votes. The 2009 portion of the schedule is highlighted by games against Manhattanville on Nov. 13 and Norwich on Dec. 4. Last season, the Crusaders defeated the Valiants for the first time in school history in the second game of the season on Nov. 9 and then beat them again in overtime on Jan. 23. Last season, Holy Cross narrowly escaped Norwich, winning 3-2 on Nov. 21, but suffered its second loss of the season to Norwich on Feb. 13.