Crusaders Come From Behind To Down Dartmouth, 5-4

Oct. 9, 2005

Box Score

Worcester, Mass. - The Holy Cross field hockey team scored four second half goals to propel it to a thrilling 5-4 come-from-behind win over Dartmouth on Sunday afternoon in non-conference action. Holy Cross has now won two straight and improves to 7-6 overall, while the Big Green fall to 5-6 on the season.

Dartmouth opened the scoring just 8:31 into the game when Whitney Waugh converted on a penalty corner, giving the Big Green a 1-0 lead. Lindsay Gossage and Jessica Saraceno were credited with assists on the play.

About seven minutes later, Dartmouth took a 2-0 advantage after Gossage scored on an unassisted effort. Holy Cross keeper Sony Kuhn (Cincinnati, Ohio) made an initial save off of a Big Green shot, but Gossage collected the rebound and blasted the ball into the back of the net.

Holy Cross cut the deficit to one (2-1) when freshman Kristin Schulz (Fairfield, Conn.) scored her second career goal after a pass from sophomore Sara O'Coin (Worcester, Mass.).

But Dartmouth took a 3-1 lead into halftime when Megan Strout scored on a pass from Waugh with just 33 seconds left in the half.

The Crusaders then came alive in the second half and strung together four consecutive goals to tie the game and take the lead for good. After allowing 12 Dartmouth shots in the first stanza, the Crusader defense buckled down and held the visitors to just five attempts in the second half.

Junior forward Tara Welch (New Boston, N.H.) again cut the HC deficit to one (3-2) when she took a pass from sophomore Katie Rowlenson (Webster, N.H.) and beat Dartmouth goalie Lauren Balukjian at the 44:09 mark.

Less than ten minutes later, the Crusaders tied the game at 3-3 when O'Coin scored thanks to a set up pass from Welch with 18:12 remaining.

The Big Green then had a chance to take the lead back with 15:28 to go when Laura Kistler was awarded a penalty stroke, but Kuhn came up with a huge save for Holy Cross, and the momentum continued for the Crusaders.

Junior Laura Cohen (Summit, N.J.) blasted a shot off of a penalty corner and beat Balukjian for the fourth straight time to give Holy Cross its first lead of the game (4-3) with 12:13 remaining.

O'Coin then tacked on the game-winner on her second goal of the game when she one-timed a pass from Cohen into the back of the net with 6:27 left, giving Holy Cross a 5-3 lead.

Dartmouth scored its only goal of the second half with 59 seconds to go on a Lizzie Bildner tally.

Kuhn made 10 saves on the day, while Balukjian finished with seven stops for Dartmouth. The Big Green outshot Holy Cross, 17-16 for the game, but the Crusaders enjoyed a 10-5 shot advantage in the second half. Both teams had eight penalty corner chances.

The Crusaders travel to Bucknell on Saturday, October 15 for a 12:00 p.m. game in Lewisburg, Pa.