Field Hockey To Celebrate Senior Day This Weekend
Overall: 1-14-0 (0-3-0 PL); Last Week: 0-1-0
Scoreboard: Colgate 3, Holy Cross 1, Worcester, Mass., 10/22
Schedule: Tuesday, Oct. 25 at Brown, Providence, R.I., 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 29 vs. Lehigh, Worcester, Mass., 11:00 a.m.
Sunday, Oct. 30 at Yale, New Haven, Conn., 1:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross field hockey team completes the 2011 season this week, traveling to play non-conference opponent Brown on Tuesday, Oct. 25, returning home to host Lehigh on Saturday, Oct. 29 and then finishing the season on the road at Yale on Sunday, Oct. 30. Tuesday's match-up begins at 4:00 p.m. on Warner Field in Providence, R.I. while Saturday's bout starts at 11:00 a.m. at the Hart Turf Field in Worcester, Mass. Saturday's game also serves as the final home game of the season. Senior day festivities will be held prior to the start of the game. Sunday's game begins at 1:00 p.m. in New Haven, Conn.
- The series between Holy Cross and Brown began in 1985. The Bears hold a 16-10 advantage in the series and have won the last three meetings. The Crusaders last won back in 2007, besting the Bears by a 3-2 score in overtime. That game was held in Providence as Brown is currently 2-5 when playing at home this season.
- Brown currently owns a record of 3-11 and is now 0-5 in the Ivy League after losing against Cornell this past weekend. They are led by Leslie Springmeyer offensively. She has four goals and three assists so far this season.
- The series between the Crusaders and Mountain Hawks began in 1990. Holy Cross has won 14 of the 22 total meetings and is on a two-game slide. The squad last earned a 4-3 victory on the road in 2008. Holy Cross is also 0-2 in its last two matches with Lehigh on the Hart Turf Field. The last time the Crusaders topped the Mountain Hawks in Worcester was in 2005, earning a 3-1 win.
- Lehigh currently owns a record of 5-11 and is 2-1 in the Patriot League. They most recently lost to Lafayette this past weekend as the game against Holy Cross serves as their final regular season match. They have yet to win a game on the road, registering a 0-6 record as the road squad.
- The series between the Crusaders and Bulldogs began in 1984 as Yale holds a 17-9-1 advantage. Holy cross is on a four game slide against Yale, last winning on Oct. 1, 2006. The Bulldogs are currently in first place in the Ivy League standings, owning a 4-1 league record and 8-6 overall. They will play at Columbia on Friday before hosting the Crusaders.
- Saturday's game will honor the team's four seniors, Jamie Caniglia (Wayne, Pa.), Rachael Miers (Langhorne, Pa.), Sofia Spanos (Laconia, N.H.) and Kirsten Walther (Landenberg, Pa.). The four have played in a total of 216 games since coming to Holy Cross. They have combined for 10 goals and 10 assists and five defensive saves. They also have been named to the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll a combined six times.