August 23, 2011
Field Hockey Set For Start of 2011 Season
Schedule: Friday, Aug. 26 at Quinnipiac, Hamden, Conn., 12:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross field hockey team jump starts its 2011 campaign with a contest at Quinnipiac this Friday, Aug. 26. Game time is set for 12:00 p.m. on the Quinnipiac Field Hockey Field in Hamden, Conn. Friday's game serves as the sixth meeting between the Crusaders and Bobcats all time, with the series dating back to 2004. Quinnipiac won the last meeting in 2009, 3-1. This is the third contest in a row that Holy Cross has traveled to Connecticut as the Bobcats last came to Worcester in 2006.
- Second year head coach Zowie Tucker's 2011 squad features 15 returning letterwinners, including seven starters, as well as six newcomers. Two seniors, Jamie Caniglia (Wayne, Pa.) and Rachael Miers (Langhorne, Pa.) will hold co-captain duties while junior Megan Bourne (Lake Forest, Ill.) will support them as vice captain. Caniglia returns as the team's top offensive player coming out of 2010, having scored two goals and collecting two assists. Miers will be the leader in the midfield, looking to bounce back from a down offensive year in 2010. Bourne saw time in every game, including 10 starts last season and finished with an assist.
- A strong duo of sophomores will also have an impact in the midfield as Jillian Caffrey (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) and Lindsay MacPhail (Goffstown, N.H.) will return as starters in 2011. Caffrey started 15 games as a freshman, taking 11 shots total while MacPhail was a second team All-Patriot League selection and finished the season with two assists in 16 starts.
- Senior Kirsten Walther (Landenberg, Pa.) will take charge of the defensive side of the ball. Walther started 14 games as a back in 2010, including 13 games in a row. Along with Walther's senior leadership in the backfield will be sophomores Kelly Burke (Walpole, Mass.) and Jess Dodakian (Shrewsbury, Mass.). Burke was a staple on defense in her first season, starting in all 17 contests while Dodakian has improved greatly in the offseason.
- Six freshmen will also look to make an immediate impact on the program and serve as Tucker's first recruiting class at Holy Cross. Nina Batt (Marion, Mass.) and Kat Matchett (Maple Glen, Pa.) will look for time in the cage while Molly Feit (Acton, Mass.) adds another speedy presence in the attack. Mackenzie Peet (Rehoboth Beach, Del.) and Kellie Walsh (Andover, Mass.) have also showed their defensive prowess while Colby Lohrey (West Simsbury, Conn.) looks to bounce back from an offseason injury.