Field Hockey Aims For Wins At Home Over Weekend
Overall Record: 0-4 (0-0 PL); Last Week: 0-2
Scoreboard: Siena 1, Holy Cross 0, Loudonville,
Sacred Heart 2, Holy Cross 0, Fairfield, Conn., 9/5
Schedule: Saturday, Sept. 18 vs. New Hampshire,
Worcester, Mass., 1:00 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 19 vs. Rider, Worcester, Mass., 1:00 p.m.
- The Holy Cross field hockey team (0-4 overall) aims for its first pair of wins this weekend, hosting a weekend doubleheader against New Hampshire and Rider. New Hampshire comes to town on Saturday, Sept. 18 while Rider travels to the Hart Turf Field on Sunday, Sept. 19. Both games are set to begin at 1:00 p.m.
- New Hampshire come to Worcester with a 4-2 record and will play Harvard on Wednesday, Sept. 15. They most recently lost to Patriot League opponent American, 5-2 in the Terrapin Invitational. Last year, the Wildcats topped the Crusaders, 5-2, in Durham, N.H. Former player Courtney Callahan tallied both goals for the Crusaders while senior Alanna Sikorski (Glen Gardner, N.J.) notched one shot on-goal.
- Sunday's contest versus Rider will be the first meeting between the two teams in program history. The Broncos come in to town with a 3-2 record, having topped fellow Patriot League opponent Colgate, 5-0, earlier this season. They will play at St. Joseph's on Friday, Sept. 17 before traveling to Worcester.
- The Crusaders are looking to tally their first goal in three games after getting shut out twice this past weekend. Controlling the ball offensively has not been the problem, however, as they out shot their opponents 24-15 over the weekend. On the season, Holy Cross has marked one goal in 40 shot attempts while opponents have scored 14 goals in 51 shot attempts.
- Seniors Kara Gonnerman (St. Louis, Mo.) and Sikorski also led the offensive charge this past weekend, tallying 16 of the team's 24 total shots. On the season, Gonnerman and Sikorski lead the team with 14 shots taken apiece. They currently tie for first in shots per-game (3.5) and rank third amongst league players in total number of shots taken as well.