Men's Tennis Drops Final Fall Match to URI, 5-1
Oct. 18, 2005
Kingston, R.I. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team (2-5) lost on the road to Rhode Island (3-2) on Tuesday afternoon. Concluding their fall season, the Crusaders will not play a match again until mid-February when the spring season begins.
John Deaver (St. Louis, Mo.) gained the lone point of the match for Holy Cross as he defeated Kyle Duffy 6-3, 6-1 at fifth singles. Deaver, a senior, will look to have a strong spring to conclude his career.
The Rams won the other five singles matches that were played. Due to darkness, the doubles matches were not played as Rhode Island had already wrapped up the win.
1. Rob Sutphen (URI) def. Brian Kelly (HC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Andrew Costin (URI) def. Angelo Sica (HC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Kevin Redmond (URI) def. Marco Lombardo (HC) 6-3, 6-0
4. Mark Marcello (URI) def. Jay DeSanto (HC) 6-2, 6-3
5. John Deaver (HC) def. Kyle Duffy (URI) 6-3, 6-1
6. Tim Steere (URI) def. Tom Moran (HC) 6-3, 6-3
* Doubles matches suspended due to darkness (match decided by singles points)