Oct. 5, 2005
Worcester, Mass. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team (2-5) got a home win by beating the Pride of Springfield College, 6-1. By taking the five singles matches and winning the doubles point the Crusaders we able to get their second win of the fall season.
Brian Kelly (Winchester, Mass.) got the victory at first singles in straight sets while Jay DeSanto (Dalton, Pa.) and Angelo Sica (Chester, N.J.) took their matches at third and fourth singles, respectively. Also, John Deaver (St. Louis, Mo.) and Tom Moran (Concord, N.H.) won impressively at fifth and sixth singles.
Moran and Sica also paired up for a doubles win. DeSanto combined with the effort of Marco Lombardo (Chestnut Hill, Mass.) to wrap up a sixth point with a win at second doubles.
The men's tennis team will be back in action this weekend at the Stonehill Invitational in Easton, Mass. Matches will begin Saturday, Oct. 8 at 9:00 a.m. and continue into Sunday morning.
1. Brian Kelly (HC) def. Justin Freitos (SC) 6-1,6-1
2. Andrew Constort (SC) def. Marco Lombardo (HC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Jerome DeSanto (HC) def. Joe Lisi (SC) 8-6
4. Angelo Sica (HC) def. Bobby Schlink (SC) 8-0
5. John Deaver (HC) def. Adam Gomes (SC) 6-1,6-0
6. Tom Moran (HC) def. Jared Tramaglini (SC) 6-0, 6-3
1. Freitos/Constort (SC) def. Kelly/Deaver (HC) 8-5
2. Lombardo/DeSanto (HC) def. Lisi/Schlink (SC) 8-4
3. Sica/Moran (HC) def. Gomes/Tramaglini (SC) 8-3
*Third and fourth singles played to eight points because match was decided.