HC Men's Tennis Opens New Courts Against Hofstra
Oct. 5, 2008
WORCESTER, Mass. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team fell to Hofstra, 5-2, on Sunday afternoon, in the first matches played on the new Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 0-2, while the Pride improve to 2-2-1.
Freshman Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) was impressive in the No. 5 singles match, as he defeated Eric Gladstone in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1. Das is now 2-0 on the year. Senior Jay DeSanto (Dalton, Pa.) and sophomore Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) fell to Tytus Stempniewicz and Stian Tvedt in a very close No. 1 doubles match, 8-6.
The Crusaders return to action on Wednesday, Oct. 8, when they host Hartford at 3:30 p.m.
1. Nenad Radakovic (HU) def. Matt Wierzel (HC) -- 6-4, 6-3
2. Stian Tvedt (HU) def. John Burke (HC) -- 6-1, 6-1
3. Tytus Stempniewicz (HU) def. Dan Phelan (HC) -- 6-1, 6-4
4. Matt Wacks (HU) def. Jay DeSanto (HC) -- 6-2, 6-3
5. Chris Das (HC) def. Eric Gladstone (HU) -- 6-0, 6-1
6. Hofstra defaulted
1. Stempniewicz/Tvedt (HU) def. DeSanto/Wierzel (HC) -- 8-6
2. Radakovic/Wacks (HU) def. Burke/Phelan (HC) -- 8-2
3. Hofstra defaulted