Sept. 22, 2008
FLUSHING, N.Y. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team competed at the Scott Satran Tournament in Flushing, N.Y. Eight Crusaders competed at the tournament.
In the second flight doubles tournament, seniors Jay DeSanto (Dalton, Pa.) and Angelo Sica (Chester, N.J.) won their first round match over Dowling's Pedro Munoz and Mike Sinclair by a score of 8-3. They were then defeated in the semifinals, 8-6, by Mehdi Rhazali and Yusufcan Koksal of Mercy College.
No. 1 singles player, sophomore Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) fell to Petr Grishchenko of Dowling in a close three-set match, 6-4, 4-6, 10-8, while DeSanto also fell in three sets to Christian Cheuque of Mercy College, 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 10-7, in the fifth flight.
Holy Cross will return to action on Sept. 26-27, when it competes at the Connecticut Invitational in Storrs, Conn. The Crusaders will then play their first match on the new Holy Cross Tennis Courts when they meet Merrimack on Sept. 28, at 11:00 a.m.
1. Petr Grishchenko (Dowling) def. Matt Wierzel (HC) -- 4-6, 6-4, 10-8
2. David Burstein (Queens) def. Angelo Sica (HC) -- 6-2, 6-3
3. Pedro Munoz (Dowling) def. John Burke (HC) -- 6-4, 6-4
4. Danilo Hiraoka (Queens) def. Dan Phelan (HC) -- 6-2, 6-1
5. Christian Cheuque (Mercy) def. Jay DeSanto (HC) -- 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 10-7
6. Jesse Smith (Queens) def. Chris Das (HC) -- 6-1, 6-0
1. Grishchenko /Saulo Gonzales (Dowling) def. Wierzel/Burke (HC) -- 8-4
2. DeSanto/Sica (HC) def. Munoz/Mike Sinclair (Dowling) -- 8-3
Mehdi Rhazali/ Yusufcan Koksal (Mercy) def. DeSanto/Sica (HC) -- 8-6
3. Karim Belhadj/Andrey Boldarev (Concordia) def. Brendan McElhenny/Kevin Leggio (HC) -- 8-0