Holy Cross Earns Win In Nail Biter
Sept. 22, 2007
New London, Conn. - The Crusader men's tennis team traveled to compete against the Coast Guard Academy this Saturday, where they played tough to pull out the win 4-3. In doubles action, Kevin Leggio and Angelo Sica earned an 8-4 victory at the No. 2 spot. Dan Phelan and Matthew Vicidomino were paired up as well, earning a 9-8 victory in a tiebreaker to win the doubles portion of the day.
In singles both Dan Phelan at No. 4 and Thomas Steinert at No. 6 pulled out wins. Now, the team match was tied 3-3, with only Matt Wierzel, a freshman from Long Island, left on court to play. Down 4-1 in the 3rd set tie-breaker he fought back to win 7-5 clinching the team victory for the Crusaders. The players stormed the court in celebration for their victory!
Coach Mike Lucas has this to say about the day: "It was a real team effort today. Everyone contributed. In the end, Matt showed great composure for a freshman under extreme pressure, playing their senior captain at #1 singles. These guys have worked real hard all pre-season to get ready, & it's starting to pay dividends."
The Crusaders play again on Sunday, September 23, when they play host to Siena at 11:00 a.m.
1. Ryan Beck/Chris Pappe (CGA) defeats Matt Wierzel/John Burke (HC): 8-6
2. Angelo Sica/Kevin Leggio (HC) defeats James Vuckovic/Time Ozimek (CGA): 8-4
3. Dan Phelan/Matthew Vicidomino (HC) defeats Vince Falco/Cody Isaacxon (CGA): 9-8 (7-1)
1. Matt Wierzel (HC) defeated Ryan Beck (CGA): 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Chris Pappe(CGA) defeats Angelo Sica (HC): 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
3. James Vuckovic (CGA) defeats John Burke (HC): 6-2, 6-1
4. Dan Phelan (HC) defeats Tim Ozimek (CGA): 6-3, 6-0
5. Vince Falco (CGA) defeats Kevin Leggio (HC): 6-3, 7-5
6. Thomas Steinert (HC) defeats Cody Isaacxon (CGA): 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
Final Score HC-4, CGA-3