Sept. 14, 2005
West Hartford, Conn. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team got the year started with a victory at Hartford on Wednesday afternoon. Taking four singles matches and two doubles matches, the men moved to 1-0 for the year with a 5-2 win. The Hawks are now 0-1 on the young season.
First doubles partners Brian Kelly (Winchester, Mass.) and Reid Feller (Barrington, R.I.) won a tough match 9-8 (7-5) while the third doubles combination of Tom Moran (Concord, N.H.) and Angelo Sica (Chester, N.J.) cruised 8-1.
In singles matches, the Crusaders took four of six with wins by sophomores Feller and Moran and freshmen Sica and Jerome DeSanto (Dalton, Pa.). Each player won their match in straight sets without conceding more than three games.
1. Doruk Baglan (UH) def. Brian Kelly 6-3, 6-2
2. Artur Muller (UH) def. Marco Lombardo 6-1, 6-2
3. Reid Feller (HC) def. Joe Kunkle (UH) 6-0, 6-1
4. Jerome DeSanto (HC) def. Charles Reich (UH) 6-1, 6-0
5. Tom Moran (HC) def. Emmet Drake (UH) 6-2, 6-1
6. Angelo Sica (HC) def. Kevin Vargas (UH) 6-3, 6-2
1. Kelly/Feller (Holy Cross) def. Muller/Kunkle (Hartford) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Baglan/Reich (UH) def. Lombardo/DeSanto(HC) 8-5
3. Moran/Sica (HC) def. Drake/Vargas (UH) 8-1