April 25, 2008
HAMILTON, N.Y. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team traveled Hamilton, N.Y. to compete in the Patriot League Tournament hosted by Colgate. The Crusaders took on Army in the first round, falling 4-0 to finish the spring season with a 2-6 record.
At No. 1 singles, Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) fell to Phil Muhawi 6-1, 6-2. John Burke (Burlington, Mass.) was trailing Eddie Kang at No . 2 singles 6-0, 3-3, when the match was stopped after the overall team outcome was determined.
At No. 2 doubles Jay DeSanto (Dalton, Pa.) and Kevin Leggio (Coram, N.Y.) teamed up to take on Sean Harris and Chris Albornoz, and trailed 5-1 before the match was stopped once Army had clinched the doubles point.
This concludes the 2008 spring season for the Crusaders.
1. Phil Muhawi, Army def. Matt Wierzel, Holy Cross 6-1, 6-2
2. Eddie Kang, Army vs. John Burke, Holy Cross 6-0, 3-3 DNF
3. Tripp Johnson, Army vs. Dan Phelan, Holy Cross 6-2, 5-1 DNF
4. Bruno Lucivero, Army vs. Jay DeSanto, Holy Cross 6-1, 5-1 DNF
5. Johnny Lucero, Army def. Thomas Steinert, Holy Cross 6-0, 6-0
6. Josh Krieter, Army def. Kevin Leggio, Holy Cross 6-0, 6-0
1. Muhawi / Kang, Army def. Wierzel / Burke, Holy Cross 8-0
2. Sean Harris / Chris Albornoz, Army vs. DeSanto / Leggio, Holy Cross 5-1 DNF
3. Lucero / Lucivero, Army def. Phelan / Matthew Vicidomino, Holy Cross 8-0