April 21, 2007
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team was defeated by Army 4-0 on Saturday in the quarterfinals of the 2007 Patriot League Tournament, which is taking place at the U.S. Naval Academy Courts. The Black Knights move on to face Colgate in the semifinals, while the 2006-2007 season is now complete for the Crusaders.
Army began the day by taking all three doubles matches to win the doubles point. The closest match came at No. 1 doubles, where senior Brian Kelly (Winchester, Mass.) and senior Marco Lombardo (Chestnut Hill, Mass.) dropped an 8-4 decision to John Houghton and Phil Muhawi.
In singles play, the Black Knights won three matches, before the other three matches were stopped once the overall team outcome was determined. At No. 4 singles, Lombardo lost the first set to Bruno Lucivero 6-3, but was tied 4-4 in the second set when the match was stopped. Senior Tom Moran (Concord, N.H.) also played well at No. 6 singles, dropping the first set to Tyler Magerkerth 6-4, before the match was stopped at 3-3 in the second set.
No. 2 Army 4, No. 7 Holy Cross 0
1. Phil Muhawi, Army def. Brian Kelly, Holy Cross (6-2, 6-1)
2. Eddie Kang, Army def. Angelo Sica, Holy Cross (6-0, 6-2)
3. Charles Mullenger, Army def. John Burke, Holy Cross (6-0, 6-0)
4. Bruno Lucivero, Army vs. Marco Lombardo, Holy Cross (6-3, 4-4, DNF)
5. John Lucero, Army vs. Jay DeSanto, Holy Cross (6-3, 4-1, DNF)
6. Tyler Magerkerth, Army vs. Tom Moran, Holy Cross (6-4, 3-3, DNF)
1. John Houghton/Muhawi, Army def. Kelly/Lombardo, Holy Cross (8-4)
2. Michael Good/Kang, Army def. Sica/Burke, Holy Cross (8-2)
3. Mullenger/Lucivero, Army def. DeSanto/Moran, Holy Cross (8-1)