Men's Tennis Narrowly Edged By Coast Guard, 4-3
April 19, 2006
NEW LONDON, Conn. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team narrowly missed a chance to pick up their second win of the spring season as they fell 4-3 to Coast Guard on Wednesday afternoon.
Lombardo continued his strong afternoon, knocking off Tom Brittingham in three sets in the fourth singles slot. The junior fell in the first set 6-4 before coming back to take the last two sets 6-4 and 7-5.
Holy Cross' third point of the day came from freshman Thomas Steinert (Rockville Center, N.Y.) who was victorious at sixth singles in straight sets by a score of 6-2, 6-4.
The Crusader men will take on Worcester Polytechnic on Friday, April 21 at home. The Holy Cross women will also play as the match will begin at 3:30 p.m.
1. Matt Nakagawa (CG) def. John Deaver (HC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Ryan Beck (CG) def. Angelo Sica (HC) 6-0, 6-0
3. Cheryl Hickey (CG) def. Jay DeSanto (HC) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
4. Marco Lombardo (HC) def. Tom Brittingham (CG) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
5. Dan Lavinder (CG) def. Colin Missett (HC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Thomas Steinert (HC) def. Lynn Schrayshuen (CG) 6-2, 6-4
1. Nakagawa/Beck (CG) def. Deaver/Missett (HC) 8-1
2. Sica/DeSanto (HC) def. Brittingham/Lavinder (HC) 8-5
3. Brendan McElhenny /Lombardo (HC) def Hickey/Schrayshuen (CG) 8-4