April 17, 2008
Worcester, Mass. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team played host to Hartford in their final home match of the 2007-2008 season. In the non-conference match, the Crusaders defeated Hartford 6-1, improving to 2-5 overall.
At No. 1 doubles John Burke (Burlington, Mass.) and Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) teamed up to defeat Will White and Tim Glickman 8-1. The Crusaders also took the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches to gain a point and lead over Hartford.
In singles, Wierzel defeated White at No. 1 singles 6-1, 6-0. Burke was victorious at No. 2 singles, dowing Fil Miletic 6-1, 6-0. At No. 3 singles Dan Phelan (Chicopee, Mass.) defeated Glickman 6-3, 6-2. No. 4 singles was won by Jay DeSanto (Dalton, Pa.) 6-0, 6-2, over Aaron Kooden, and Thomas Steinert (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) won No. 5 singles 6-0, 6-2, over Ed Hoey.
The Crusaders return to action on Saturday, April 19, when they travel to Fordham for a 1:00 p.m. match.
1. John Burke / Matt Wierzel (HC) def. Will White / Tim Glickman (UH), 8-2
2. Jay DeSanto / Kevin Leggio (HC) def. Fil Miletic / Ed Hoey (UH), 8-3
3. Dan Phelan / Matthew Vicidomino (HC) def. Aaron Kooden / Mark Goldfinger (UH), 8-4
1. Matt Wierzel (HC) def. Will White (UH), 6-1, 6-0
2. John Burke (HC) def. Fil Miletic (UH), 6-0, 6-2
3. Dan Phelan (HC) def. Tim Glickman (UH), 6-3, 6-2
4. Jay DeSanto (HC) def. Aaron Kooden (UH), 6-0, 6-2
5. Thomas Steinert (HC) def. Ed Hoey (UH), 6-0, 6-2
6. Mark Goldfinger (UH) def. Kevin Leggio (HC), 7-5, 6-3