April 17, 2009
WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team fell to Colgate, 4-0, on Friday afternoon at the Patriot League Tournament quarterfinals at Army's Malek Tennis Center. With the loss, the Crusaders conclude the season with a 4-14 overall record, while the Raiders improve to 12-7 and advance to the semifinals versus Army on April 18 at 2:00 p.m.
Colgate earned the doubles point by winning the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches. Phil Bernasek and Ruslan Goussiantnikov defeated junior Dan Phelan (Chicopee, Mass.) and freshman Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) by a score of 8-2 at No. 2 doubles, while at No. 3 doubles, Michael Yassky and Jamie Pellechi defeated senior Jay DeSanto (Dalton, Pa.) and freshman Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.), 8-1. Colgate then won the No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles matches to earn the 4-0 victory.
1. Martin MacIntyre (CU) vs. Matt Wierzel (HC) -- 6-0, 3-2, DNF
2. John Nogueras (CU) vs. Angelo Sica (HC) -- 6-2, 4-1, DNF
3. Phil Bernasek (CU) vs. Dan Phelan (HC) -- 6-1, 2-2, DNF
4. Michael Yassky (CU) def. Jay DeSanto (HC) -- 6-1, 6-0
5. Ruslan Goussiantnikov (CU) def. Chris Das (HC) -- 6-2, 6-0
6. Sean Spellberg (CU) def. Tom Steinert (HC) -- 6-0, 6-0
1. MacIntyre / Nogueras (CU) vs. Wierzel / Sica (HC) -- 5-5, DNF
2. Bernasek / Goussiantnikov (CU) def. Phelan / Das (HC) -- 8-2
3. Yassky / Jamie Pellechi (CU) def. DeSanto / Ajeya Shekar (HC) -- 8-1