Holy Cross Men's Tennis Defeats Hartford, 4-3
April 8, 2009
WEST HARTFORD, Conn. - The Crusaders earned the doubles point, while sophomore Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.), senior Jay DeSanto (Dalton, Pa.) and freshman Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) each won their singles matches, as the Holy Cross men's tennis team defeated Hartford, 4-3, on April 7. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 4-12, while the Hawks fall to 0-10-1. Holy Cross sweeps the season series with these two teams, 2-0.
The Crusaders won two of the three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. At No. 2 doubles, senior Angelo Sica (Chester, N.J.) and junior John Burke (Burlington, Mass.) defeated Rich Lieberman and Matt Seltzer, 9-7, while at No. 3 doubles junior Dan Phelan (Chicopee, Mass.) and Das defeated Filip Miletic and Aaron Kooden, 8-5.
Holy Cross then won three of the six singles matches to earn the 4-3 win. Wierzel won the No. 1 singles match over Lieberman, 6-3, 6-2, while DeSanto defeated Miletic in three sets, 3-6, 6-3, 6-0, to win at No. 5 singles. Das defeated Kooden, 6-0, 6-2, to win the No. 6 singles match.
The Crusaders return to action when they conclude the regular season on April 14, when they play Boston University at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts at 3:30 p.m.
1. Matt Wierzel (HC) def. Rich Lieberman (UH) -- 6-3, 6-2
2. Ricky Dove (UH) def. Angelo Sica (HC) -- 6-1, 6-2
3. Aneil Bhalla (UH) def. John Burke (HC) -- 6-4, 7-5
4. Matt Seltzer (UH) def. Dan Phelan (HC) -- 6-2, 7-5
5. Jay DeSanto (HC) def. Filip Miletic (UH) -- 3-6, 6-3, 6-0
6. Chris Das (HC) def. Aaron Kooden (UH) -- 6-0, 6-2
1. Dove / Bhalla (UH) def. Wierzel / DeSanto (HC) -- 8-1
2. Sica / Burke (HC) def. Lieberman / Seltzer (UH) -- 9-7
3. Phelan / Das (HC) def. Miletic / Kooden (UH) -- 8-5