Holy Cross Men's Tennis Defeats Le Moyne, 4-3
March 27, 2009
WORCESTER, Mass. - Sophomore Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.), junior John Burke (Burlington, Mass.), junior Dan Phelan (Chicopee, Mass.) and freshman Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) each won their singles matches as the Holy Cross men's tennis team defeated Le Moyne, 4-3, on Friday afternoon at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the win, the Crusaders improve to 2-8, while the Dolphins fall to 4-8.
The Dolphins earned the doubles point as they won two of the three matches. The Crusaders won the No. 2 doubles match, as the team of senior Angelo Sica (Chester, N.J.) and Burke defeated James Shelp and Joseph Persia, 8-5. The other two doubles matches were very close as Brian Rice and Daniel Sullivan defeated Wierzel and senior Jay DeSanto (Dalton, Pa.) by a score of 9-7 at No. 1 doubles, while Ben Jordan and Chris Meeker took the match from Phelan and Das by a score of 8-6 at No. 3 doubles.
Das won the No. 6 singles match over Jordan in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0, while at No. 1 singles, Wierzel defeated Sullivan in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3. Burke also won in straight sets over Shelp, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 3 singles. With the overall team match tied at 3-3, Phelan defeated Andrew Gleason in three sets, 6-2, 4-6, 10-3, for the 4-3 Holy Cross win.
The Crusaders return to action on March 28, when they play Bryant at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts at 11:00 a.m.
1. Matt Wierzel (HC) def. Daniel Sullivan (LEM) -- 6-3, 6-3
2. Brian Rice (LEM) def. Angelo Sica (HC) -- 6-1, 6-0
3. John Burke (HC) def. James Shelp (LEM) -- 6-3, 6-3
4. Dan Phelan (HC) def. Andrew Gleason (LEM) -- 6-2, 4-6, 10-3
5. Joseph Persia (LEM) def. Jay DeSanto (HC) -- 6-2, 6-0
6. Chris Das (HC) def. Ben Jordan (LEM) -- 6-1, 6-0
1. Rice / Sullivan (LEM) def. Wierzel / DeSanto (HC) -- 9-7
2. Sica / Burke (HC) def. Shelp / Persia (LEM) -- 8-5
3. Jordan / Chris Meeker (LEM) def. Phelan / Das (HC) -- 8-6