Holy Cross Drops 5-2 Match To Springfield
March 25, 2009
WORCESTER, Mass. - Sophomore Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) and junior Dan Phelan (Chicopee, Mass.) each won their singles matches, but the Holy Cross men's tennis team fell to Springfield College, 5-2, on Wednesday afternoon at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 1-8, while the Pride improve to 3-2.
The Pride earned the doubles point as they won all three matches. The No. 3 doubles team of senior Brendan McElhenny (Huntington, N.Y.) and freshman Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.) had a hard fought match as they fell to Zach O'Leary and Eric Henne by a score of 9-8 as they lost the tie-breaker, 7-4. This was Shekar's collegiate debut.
Wierzel won the No. 1 singles match over Andrew Constant, 6-1, 6-0, while Phelan defeated Trevor Romanzi in a three-set match, 7-5, 4-6, 6-2.
The Crusaders return to action on Friday, March 27, when they play Le Moyne at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts at 3:00 p.m.
1. Matt Wierzel (HC) def. Andrew Constant (SC) -- 6-1, 6-0
2. Bobby Schlink (SC) def. John Burke (HC) -- 6-3, 6-1
3. Dan Phelan (HC) def. Trevor Romanzi (SC) -- 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
4. Tim Tunis (SC) def. Jay DeSanto (HC) -- 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Zach O'Leary (SC) def. Chris Das (HC) -- 1-6, 7-5, 10-4
6. Eric Henne (SC) def. Ajeya Shekar (HC) -- 6-4, 6-3
1. Constant / Schlink (SC) def. Wierzel / Burke (HC) -- 8-3
2. Romanzi / Tunis (SC) def. Phelan / Das (HC) -- 8-3
3. O'Leary / Henne (SC) def. Brendan McElhenny / Shekar (HC) -- 9-8 (7-4)