Feb. 25, 2006
MIDDLEBURY, Conn. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team picked up its first victory of the spring season by edging rival Sacred Heart 4-3 on Saturday afternoon at the Middlebury Racquet Club.
By finishing off a convincing sweep of the three doubles matches, the Crusaders took the deciding point in the match. At number one doubles, juniors Marco Lombardo (Chestnut Hill, Mass.) and Tom Moran (Concord, N.H.) got the win 8-6.
In singles, the Pioneer and Crusaders split six matches.
Sica defeated Chris McDonnell at third singles by winning the first set 6-1 and completing the match when McDonnell was forced to retire.
DeSanto got the victory in the fourth slot, winning 6-4, 6-4 over Kevin Guidicipietro. Moran picked up the third point of the day for Holy Cross by defeating Bryan Rodgers 7-6 (5), 6-3.
The Crusaders will be back in action tommorrow morning in when they take on Quinnipiac in Hamden, Conn.
1. Jared Dye (SH) def. John Deaver (HC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Joe Merendino (SH) def. Marco Lombardo (HC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Angelo Sica (HC) def. Chris McDonnell (SH) 6-1, 3-0 (ret.)
4. Jay DeSanto (HC) def. Kevin Guidicipietro (SH) 6-4, 6-4
5. Tom Moran (HC) def. Bryan Rodgers (SH) 7-6 (5), 6-3
6. Kevin Teague (SH) def. Colin Missett (HC) 7-6 (5), 4-6, 10-6
1. Lombardo/Moran (HC) def. Dye/Merendino (SH) 8-6
2. Sica/DeSanto (HC) def. McDonnell/Guidicipietro (SH) 8-5
3. Deaver/Missett (HC) def. Rodgers/Teague (SH) 9-8 (4)