Holy Cross Defeated By Sacred Heart, 7-0
Feb. 26, 2009
MIDDLEBURY, Conn. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team fell at Sacred Heart, 7-0, on Feb. 21. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 1-5 overall, while the Pioneers improve to 5-1 overall.
All three doubles matches were close as the Pioneers won each match by an 8-6 score to earn the doubles point. At No. 1 doubles, sophomores Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) and Kevin Leggio (Coram, N.Y.) fell to Cole Conrad and Jinal Shah, at No 2 doubles, seniors Angelo Sica (Chester, N.J.) and Jay DeSanto (Dalton, Pa.) lost to Matthew Cook and Bryan Rodgers, and at No. 3 doubles, juniors Dan Phelan (Chicopee, Mass.) and John Burke (Burlington, Mass.) were defeated by John Harvey and Joseph Lanciotti. The Pioneers then won all six singles matches for the 7-0 match win.
The Crusaders return to action when they play at Boston College at 7:00 p.m. on March 20.
1. Kirill Kasyanov (SHU) def. Matt Wierzel (HC) -- 6-3, 6-1
2. Chris Ujkic (SHU) def. Angelo Sica (HC) -- 6-1, 6-3
3. Adam Gart (SHU) def. John Burke (HC) -- 6-4, 6-0
4. Nick Mazzarese (SHU) def. Dan Phelan (HC) -- 6-3, 6-2
5. Michael Syer (SHU) def. Jay DeSanto (HC) -- 6-1, 6-0
6. Jacob Miller (SHU) def. Chris Das (HC) -- 6-2, 6-4
1. Cole Conrad / Jinal Shah (SHU) def. Wierzel / Kevin Leggio (HC) -- 8-6
2. Matthew Cook / Bryan Rodgers (SHU) def. Sica / DeSanto (HC) -- 8-6
3. John Harvey / Joseph Lanciotti (SHU) def. Phelan / Burke (HC) -- 8-6