Feb. 25, 2007
Middlebury, Conn. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team got their first win of the season, Saturday beating Sacred Heart 4-3 at the Middlebury Racquet Club in Middlebury, Conn. The match came down to the doubles point, where the Crusaders would have to win two-of-three doubles matches in order to be victorious over the Pioneers. Sophomore Angelo Sica (Chester, N.J.) and senior Marco Lombardo (Chestnut Hill, Mass.) teamed up to win the first doubles match in dramatic fashion. The pair would need the tie-breaker to get the best of Kevin Guidicipietro and Joe Merendino from Sacred Heart, 9-8, (7-4).
Sophomore Brendan McElhenny (Huntington, N.Y.) and freshman John Burke (Burlington, Mass.) would prove to be the difference makers for the Crusaders, winning their No.3 doubles match, 8-2 over Matt Cook and Joseph Lanciotti from Sacred Heart. With the match win, the Crusaders won the crucial doubles point that would prove to be the decisive point on the day.
At No. 2 singles action, Burke would get the first individual win for Holy Cross on the day, defeating Sacred Heart's Merendino, 6-2, 6-2. Lombardo turned in another victory for the Crusaders, defeating Guidicipietro, 6-4-, 6-1 at No. 3 singles.
Moran would win a three-set match over Chris McDonnell in No. 5 singles play. Moran would take the first set 6-4. McDonnell would fight back, winning the second set, 2-6. Moran would rally back, taking the third and decisive set, 6-2.
In other singles action, Sica was defeated by the Pioneer's Rodgers at No. 1 singles, 5-7, 6-2, 6-4. Sacred Heart's Cook would win a close match over DeSanto, 7-5, 6-4 at No. 4.
The Crusaders improve their record to 1-2 on the season as Sacred Heart drops to 0-3.
The Holy Cross men's tennis team will return to action on Friday, March 23, traveling to take on Army. Matches are slated to begin at 8:00 pm in West Point, N.Y.
1. SH Bryan Rodgers def. HC Angelo Sica, 7-5, 6-2, 6-4
2. HC John Burke def. SH Joe Merendino, 6-2, 6-2
3. HC Marco Lombardo def. SH Kevin Guidicipietro, 6-4, 6-1
4. SH Matt Cook def. HC Jay DeSanto, 7-5, 6-4
5. HC Tom Moran def SH Chris McDonnell, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2.
6. SH Jayson Farhadi def HC Brendan McElhenny, 6-2, 6-2.
1. HC Sica/Lombardo def. Guidicipietro/Merendino, 9-8, (7-4)
2. SH Rodgers/McDonnell def. HC DeSanto/Moran, 8-2
3. HC McElhenny/Burke def. SH Cook/Joseph Lanciotti, 8-2