Feb. 18, 2009
PAXTON, Mass. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team fell to Coast Guard, 6-1, on Feb. 14, at the Paxton Sports Centre in the spring season-opener for both teams. With the loss, the Crusaders fall to 1-4 overall, while the Bears improve to 3-3 overall. Coast Guard sweeps the two-match season series with Holy Cross as the Bears defeated the Crusaders by a score of 6-3 in the fall season in New London, Conn.
Holy Cross freshman Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) continues to have an impressive rookie year as he defeated Cody Isaacson in the No. 6 singles match, 6-4, 6-1. Das is now 4-1 on the season in dual matches. No. 1 singles player sophomore Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) had a hard fought three-set match as he fell to Greg Mitchell by scores of 6-4, 2-6, 10-3. No. 5 singles player senior Jay DeSanto (Dalton, Pa.) also had a very close match as he lost a first set tiebreaker by a score of 8-6 to Tim Ozimek and then Ozimek won the second set, 7-5. The Bears swept the three doubles matches.
The Crusaders return to action when they meet Sacred Heart in Middlebury, Conn., at 6:00 p.m. on Feb. 21.
1. Greg Mitchell (CGA) def. Matt Wierzel (HC) -- 6-4, 2-6, 10-3
2. Nick Martin (CGA) def. Angelo Sica (HC) -- 6-1, 6-0
3. Chris Pappe (CGA) def. John Burke (HC) -- 6-4, 6-1
4. James Vuckovic (CGA) def. Dan Phelan (HC) -- 6-0, 6-0
5. Tim Ozimek (CGA) def. Jay DeSanto (HC) -- 7-6 (8-6), 7-5
6. Chris Das (HC) def. Cody Isaacson (CGA) -- 6-4, 6-1
1. Mitchell / Martin (CGA) def. Wierzel / Kevin Leggio (HC) -- 8-4
2. Pappe / Isaacson (CGA) def. Sica / DeSanto (HC) -- 8-0
3. Vuckovic / Ozimek (CGA) def. Phelan / Burke (HC) -- 8-4