WEST POINT, N.Y. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team's season came to a close on Thursday afternoon, as it was knocked out of the Patriot League Tournament by Lafayette, 4-0, at the Malek Tennis Center. The No. 9 seeded Crusaders conclude their season with a 4-10 overall record, while the No. 8 Leopards will move on to the Patriot League quarterfinals to face top-seeded Army.
Due to Patriot League Tournament rules, the first team to four points wins the match, as Lafayette claimed the first point with a pair of victories at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. The Leopards claimed the other three points in the singles matches.
Crusader freshman Pat O'Shea (Wilbraham, Mass.) lost his No. 4 singles match, 6-3, 6-0, to Jake Lazer, while senior Brandon Ynayan (New York, N.Y.) was defeated in No. 5 singles, 6-3, 6-0, by Chris Matturri. Lafayette No. 6 singles player Gavin Studner defeated Holy Cross junior Rob Buetti (Bay Shore, N.Y.), 6-3, 6-1, for the clinching point.
LAFAYETTE 4, HOLY CROSS 0
1. Brandon Goldstein/Brian Stefanowicz (LAF) def. Ryan Sullivan/Jimmy Ye (HC), 8-0
2. Brian Pinkard/Jake Lazer (LAF) def. Chris Brosnan/Rob Buetti (HC), 8-0
3. Chris Matturi/Gavin Studner (LAF) led Pat O'Shea/Elmar Lutz (HC), 6-1, DNF
1. Brandon Goldstein (LAF) led Ryan Sullivan (HC), 6-0, 5-1, DNF
2. Brian Pinkard (LAF) led Chris Brosnan (HC), 6-3, 3-0, DNF
3. Brian Stefanowicz (LAF) led Jimmy Ye (HC), 6-1, 2-1, DNF
4. Jake Lazer (LAF) def. Pat O'Shea (HC), 6-3, 6-0
5. Chris Matturri (LAF) def. Brandon Ynayan (HC), 6-0, 6-2
6. Gavin Studner (LAF) def. Rob Buetti (HC), 6-3, 6-1