Men's Tennis Defeats UMass Dartmouth, 6-1
WORCESTER, Mass. - Holy Cross freshman Sean Frebes (Cleveland, Ohio) won both of his singles and double matches, as the Crusaders defeated UMass Dartmouth, 6-1, in non-conference men's tennis action on Thursday afternoon at the Sinnott Family Tennis Facility. With the win, Holy Cross improves to 4-9 on the season, while the Corsairs fall to 1-5 overall.
Frebes won his No. 4 singles match over Jon Reagan, 2-6, 6-4, (10-6), while he paired with freshman Pat O'Shea (Wilbraham, Mass.) to claim the No. 2 doubles win over Ray Lawton and Jake Jaskolka, 8-3. Holy Cross senior captain Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) claimed the 6-3, 6-2 win over Matt Bejtlich in No. 1 singles, while freshman Jimmy Ye (Boston, Mass.) earned the No. 2 singles victory over Daniel Chouinard, 6-0, 6-1.
Other Crusaders to earn singles wins were senior Brandon Ynayan (New York, N.Y.) and junior Rob Buetti (Bay Shore, N.Y.). Sophomore Charlie Volkwein (Surry, Maine) and freshman Elmar Lutz (Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla.) paired together to earn a win at No. 3 doubles.
Holy Cross returns to action on Friday, April 11, when it will travel to Hartford for a 3:30 p.m. match.
HOLY CROSS 6, UMASS DARTMOUTH 1
1. Ryan Sullivan (HC) def. Matt Bejtlich (UMD), 6-3, 6-2
2. Jimmy Ye (HC) def. Daniel Chouinard (UMD), 6-0, 6-1
3. Ray Lawton (UMD) def. Pat O'Shea (HC), 6-4, 6-3
4. Sean Frebes (HC) def. Jon Reagan (UMD), 2-6, 6-4, (10-6)
5. Brandon Ynayan (HC) def. Jake Jaskolka (UMD), 6-2, 6-2
6. Rob Buetti (HC) def. Malcolm Neville (UMD), 6-1, 6-3
1. Chouinard / Bejtlich (UMD) def. Sullivan / Ye (HC), 8-6
2. O'Shea / Frebes (HC) def. Lawton / Jaskolka (UMD), 8-3
3. Charlie Volkwein / Elmar Lutz (HC) def. Andrew Burdick / Neville, 8-4