WORCESTER, Mass. - The Holy Cross men's tennis team dropped its match to Nichols, 7-0, on Sunday afternoon at the Sinnott Family Tennis Facility. With the win, the Bison improve to 10-1 overall, while the Crusaders slip to 3-9 on the season.
Holy Cross freshman No. 2 singles player Jimmy Ye (Boston, Mass.) lost the closest match of the day, as he was defeated by Brandon Roode, 6-2, 4-6, (10-6). Crusader No. 1 singles player, senior captain Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.), lost his match to Justin Deluca, 6-2, 6-0.
The Crusaders return to action on Tuesday, April 8, with a home match versus Siena at 3:30 p.m.
NICHOLS 7, HOLY CROSS 0
1. Justin Deluca (NC) def. Ryan Sullivan (HC), 6-2, 6-0
2. Brandon Roode (NC) def. Jimmy Ye (HC), 6-2, 4-6, (10-6)
3. Joan Castillo (NC) def. Sean Frebes (HC), 6-1, 6-1
4. Carlos De La Cruz (NC) def. Pat O'Shea (HC), 6-3, 6-3
5. Jake Zapatka (NC) def. Charlie Volkwein (HC), 6-2, 6-0
6. Josh Halpern (NC) def. Rob Buetti (HC), 6-0, 6-0
1. Deluca / Roode (NC) def. Sullivan / Ye (HC), 8-1
2. De La Cruz / Castillo (NC) def. Frebes / O'Shea (HC), 8-4
3. Halpern / James Smith (NC) def. Volkwein / Elmar Lutz (HC), 9-8 (7-4)