SYRACUSE, N.Y. – The Holy Cross men's tennis team's season came to a close on Friday afternoon as it was knocked out of the Patriot League Tournament by Lehigh at Drumlins Country Club. The No. 7 seeded Crusaders conclude their season at 1-12 overall, while the No. 2 Mountain Hawks move on the Patriot League Semifinals.
Due to Patriot League Tournament rules, the first team to four points wins the match as Lehigh claimed the first point with a pair of victories at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. The Mountain Hawks continued with three consecutive straight-set victories over junior Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.), sophomore Rob Buetti (Bay Shore, N.Y.) and senior Tom Casavant (New Canaan, Conn.).
The other three singles matches and the No. 1 doubles match did not finish due to the earlier results. When the match was stopped, Holy Cross junior co-captain Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) was only trailing the first set, 4-3.
LEHIGH 4, HOLY CROSS 0
1. Mitchell Petersen/Mark Goldberg (LEH) vs. Ryan Sullivan/Chris Brosnan (HC) 6-2 DNF
2. Matt Savran/Jeremy Kachman(LEH) def. Scot Brownell/Jeff Paadre (HC) 8-3
3. Andrew Krentz/Ben Gilman (LEH) def. Ron Buetti/Tom Casavant (HC) 8-2
1. Goldberg (LEH) vs. Ryan Sullivan (HC), 4-3 DNF
2. Ben Gilman (LEH) def. Chris Brosnan (HC), 6-0, 6-1
3. Mitchell Petersen (LEH) vs. Scot Brownell (HC), 6-1, 5-0 DNF
4. Matt Savran (LEH) def. Ron Buetti (HC), 6-0, 6-0
5. Andrew Krentz (LEH) vs. Jeff Paadre (HC), 6-0, 5-0 DNF
6. Timur Chernykh (LEH) def. Tom Casavant (HC), 6-0, 6-2