Men’s Tennis Falls To UMass Dartmouth, 7-2
NORTH DARTMOUTH, Mass. – The Holy Cross men's tennis team lost its final regular season match of the season to UMass Dartmouth, 7-2, at the UMD Athletic Complex on Monday afternoon. With the win, the Corsaires improve to 3-3 overall, while the Crusaders slip to 1-11.
Holy Cross junior No. 1 singles player Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) won his match over Karsten Rathlev, 4-2, retired, as classmate Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) claimed his No. 2 singles match over Brennan Dugas, 7-5, 7-5. Crusaders senior Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.) lost a close tilt at No. 3 singles to Matt Bejtlich, 4-6, 7-6, (8-6).
The Crusaders did not win any doubles matches as its closest match came with Sullivan and Brosnan at No. 1 doubles. The duo lost their match, 9-8, in a tiebreak.
Holy Cross will return to action on Friday, April 19 when it will compete in the Patriot League Quarterfinals in Hamilton, N.Y. The opponent and time of the match will be determined on Tuesday.
UMASS DARTMOUTH 7, HOLY CROSS 2
1. Ryan Sullivan (HC) def. Karsten Rathlev (UMD) 4-2, retired
2. Chris Brosnan (HC) def. Brennan Dugas (UMD) 7-5, 7-5
3. Matt Bejtlich (UMD) def. Scot Brownell (HC) 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 1-0 (8-6)
4. Patrick Lewis (UMD) def. Rob Buetti (HC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Ray Lawton (UMD) def. Jeff Paadre (HC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Dan Chouinard (UMD) def. Tom Casavant (HC) 6-1, 6-3
1. Karsten Rathlev/Patrick Lewis (UMD) def. Ryan Sullivan/Chris Brosnan (HC) 9-8 (7-0)
2. Brennan Dugas/Matt Bejtlich (UMD) def. Scot Brownell/Rob Buetti (HC) 8-2
3. Ray Lawton/Dan Chouinard (UMD) def. Jeff Paadre/Tom Casavant (HC) 8-2