BOSTON, Mass. – The Holy Cross men's tennis team was defeated by Boston University, 7-0, on Wednesday afternoon at the Tennis & Track Center. With the win, the Terriers improve to 6-3 overall, while the Crusaders fall to 0-7 on the season.
The closest match for Crusaders came at No. 6 singles, as BU's Brandon Phan defeated Holy Cross freshman Rich DeGregoris (Rockville, Centre, N.Y.), 4-6, 6-1, 10-9. Terriers' No. 3 singles player, Michael Kopelman topped Crusaders' junior Connor McCann (Centreville, Mass.) 6-1, 6-4.
Holy Cross lost all three doubles matches to Terriers, as BU's No. 1 pair of Josh Friedman and Chanon Varapongsittikul defeated Holy Cross' duo of sophomore Nick Berrettini (Haverford, Pa.) and junior co-captain Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.), 8-5.
The Crusaders return to action on Friday, April 5, when they will host their first spring match of the season versus Siena at 3:30 p.m.
BOSTON UNIVERSITY 7, HOLY CROSS 0
1. Jessie Frieder (BU) def. Nick Berrettini (HC), 6-2, 6-0
2. Emilio Teran (BU) def. Ryan Sullivan (HC), 6-1, 6-3
3. Michael Kopelman (BU) def. Connor McCann (HC), 6-1, 6-4
4. Alex Hallenbeck (BU) def. Chris Brosnan (HC), 6-0, 6-0
5. Eric Miller (BU) def. Scot Brownell (HC), 6-0, 6-0
6. Brandon Phan (BU) def. Rich DeGregoris (HC), 4-6, 6-1, 10-9
1. Josh Friedman/Chanon Varapongsittikul (BU) def. Nick Berrettini/Ryan Sullivan (HC), 8-5
2. Michael Kopelman/Stefan Lemire (BU) def. Rich DeGregoris/Chris Brosnan (HC), 8-0
3. Marcus VanBerkel/Alex Hallenbeck (BU) def. Scot Brownell/Connor McCann (HC), 8-2