Men’s Tennis Drops Match To Lafayette, 6-1
WEST POINT, N.Y. – Holy Cross junior co-captain Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) won his No. 2 singles match as the Crusaders fell to Lafayette, 6-1, in Patriot League men's tennis action on Saturday afternoon at the Lichtenberg Tennis Center. With the win, the Leopards improve to 3-5 overall and 1-2 in the league, while Holy Cross falls to 0-5 on the season and 0-2 in the conference.
Sullivan's match needed to go to a tiebreaker, as the third-year player defeated Gavin Studner, 6-4, 6-7, (7-4). Holy Cross sophomore No. 1 singles player Nick Berrettini (Haverford, Mass.) lost a close match to Brandon Goldstein, 7-6, 7-5, while Crusaders freshman Rich DeGregoris (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) was defeated in No. 6 singles, 6-2, 6-4, by Alex Charchalls.
Holy Cross dropped all three doubles matches versus Lafayette. The closest match came at No. 1 doubles as Sullivan and junior Connor McCann (Centreville, Mass.) lost to Scott Gelbman and Chris Matturri, 8-5.
Holy Cross will take on Lehigh on Saturday evening at 8:00 p.m. to conclude its trip to West Point, N.Y.
LAFAYETTE 6, HOLY CROSS 1
1. Brandon Goldstein (LAF) def. Nick Berrettini (HC) 7-6, 7-5
2. Ryan Sullivan (HC) def. Gavin Studner (LAF) 6-4, 6-7, (7-4)
3. Scott Gelbman (LAF) def. Connor McCann (HC) 6-0, 6-1
4. Brian Stefanowicz (LAF) def. Chris Brosnan (HC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Chris Matturri (LAF) def. Scot Brownell (HC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Alex Charchalls (LAF) def. Rich DeGregoris (HC) 6-2, 6-4
1. Scott Gelbman/Chris Matturri (LAF) def. Ryan Sullivan/Connor McCann (HC) 8-5
2. Brandon Goldstein/Jake Lazer (LAF) def. Nick Berrettini/Rich DeGregoris (HC) 8-3
3. Gavin Studner/Brian Stefanwicz (LAF) def. Scot Brownell/Chris Brosnan (HC) 8-3