Men's Tennis Defeated By Coast Guard, 7-2
NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Holy Cross men's tennis was defeated by Coast Guard, 7-2, on Saturday afternoon in New London, Conn. With the loss, the Crusaders slip to 0-2 on the season, while the Bears improve to 1-4.
Holy Cross junior Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) won his match over Blake Maurer in No. 2 singles, 7-5, 6-2 and evens his singles record to 2-2 on the season. Freshman Rich DeGregoris (Rockville Centre, N.Y.) claimed the tough fought victory in No. 6 singles, 6-7, 6-4, (10-8) over Coast Guard's Jon Lightner. DeGregoris is now 4-0 for his collegiate career in singles matches.
The Crusaders No. 2 doubles team of DeGregoris and junior Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) lost in a tight match, 8-6. Third-year Connor McCann (Centreville, Mass.) fell in his No. 3 singles match to Robert Renfrow, 6-3, 6-2.
COAST GUARD 7, HOLY CROSS 2
1. Josh Fischer/ Blake Maurer (CG) d. Nick Berrettini / Ryan Sullivan (HC) 8-2
2. Mark Guentert/ Weston Fortna (CG) d. Chris Brosnan / Rich DeGregoris (HC) 8-6
3. Robert Renfrow/ Jon Lightner (CG) d. Connor McCann / Scot Brownell (HC) 8-4
1. Josh Fischer (CG) d. Nick Berrettini (HC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Ryan Sullivan (HC) d. Blake Maurer (CG) 7-5, 6-2
3. Robert Renfrow (CG) d. Connor McCann (HC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Mark Guentert (CG) d. Chris Brosnan (HC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Weston Fortna (CG) d. Scot Brownell (HC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Rich DeGregoris (HC) d. Jon Lightner (CG) 6-7, 6-4, (10-8)