Men's Tennis Falls To Coast Guard, 7-2, To Start Spring Season
NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Holy Cross men's tennis team took home a 7-2 loss to Division III Coast Guard at the Coast Guard Tennis Courts in the opening match of the spring season. With the result, the Crusaders move to 2-3 overall on the season while the Bears improve to 4-1. Sophomore Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) tallied the Crusaders' first point on the day, taking the No. 2 singles match.
Coast Guard swept all three doubles matches as the No. 2 duo of senior Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.) and sophomore Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.) forced their match into extra games, eventually losing 9-8. The Bears then took the No.1, No. 3 and No. 4 singles matches before Sullivan took the No. 2 singles contest for the Crusaders' first point. He won the match in straight sets, 6-4, 7-6. Coast Guard followed with a win in the No. 5 match as sophomore Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) wrapped up the match with a 7-6, 6-1 victory at No. 6 singles.
Holy Cross returns to action on Feb. 26 when it travels to West Point, N.Y. for two Patriot League matches. The Crusaders will first play host Army at 9:00 a.m. and then compete against Lafayette at 2:00 p.m.
1. Greg Mitchell (CG) def. Nick Berrettini (HC), 6-4, 6-2
2. Ryan Sullivan (HC) def. Blake Maurer (CG), 6-4, 7-6
3. Josh Fischer (CG) def. Tim Regan (HC), 6-4, 6-2
4. Nick Martin (CG) def. Chris Das (HC), 6-4, 6-3
5. David Blystone (CG) def. Connor McCann (HC), 6-0, 6-1
6. Chris Brosnan (HC) def. Matt Faha (CG), 7-6, 6-1
1. Mitchell/Martin (CG) def. Sullivan/Berrettini (HC), 8-3
2. Fischer/Blystone(CG) def. Ajeya Shekar/Scot Brownell (HC), 9-8 (7-5)
3. Maurer/Wesley Figaro(CG) def. Brosnan/McCann (HC), 9-7