BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The No. 2-seed Lehigh men's tennis team proved to be too much for the No. 8-seeded Holy Cross men's tennis team, as the Crusaders fell 4-0 in the first round of the Patriot League Tournament at the Ulrich Varsity Tennis Courts. With the final, the Crusaders wrap up the 2010-2011 campaign with a 4-16 (0-3 PL) record while the Mountain Hawks continue the hunt for the Patriot League crown, notching a 14-6 (4-2 PL).
Due to Patriot League tournament rules, the first team to four points wins the match as the Mountain Hawks picked up victories in No. 2 and No. 3 doubles for the first point. Lehigh then followed with three consecutive singles wins, topping junior Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) in the No. 2 spot, freshman Connor McCann (Centerville, Mass.) in the No. 5 match and senior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) in the No. 1 match. The three other singles matches and No. 1 doubles set did not finish due to the earlier results.
Today's match marks the final time the Holy Cross men's tennis team will compete this season. Lehigh will take on Navy in the Patriot League semifinals on Saturday, April 16 at 2:00 p.m.
1. Troy List/Collin Laffey (LEHIGH) led Matt Wierzel/Ryan Sullivan (HC), 5-4, DNF
2. Matt Savran/Andrew Krentz (LEHIGH) def. Ajeya Shekar/Chris Das (HC), 8-0
3. Cameron Silbert/Arnaldo Pacheco (LEHIGH) def. Connor McCann/Chris Brosnan (HC), 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. List (LEHIGH) def. Wierzel (HC), 6-4, 6-3
2. Laffey (LEHIGH) def. Das (HC), 6-0, 6-2
3. Savran (LEHIGH) led Sullivan (HC), 6-1, 4-2, DNF
4. Mark Goldberg (LEHIGH) led Brosnan (HC), 6-3, 4-0, DNF
5. Krentz (LEHIGH) def. McCann (HC), 6-2, 6-2
6. Timur Chernykh (LEHIGH) led Shekar (HC), 6-1, 4-2, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 1