WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross men's tennis team earned its second win in three matches against Union, picking up a 6-1 win at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the final result, the Crusaders go to a record of 4-14 on the overall season while the Dutchmen combine for a record of 1-5.
The Crusaders won two out of the three doubles matches to take the doubles point early. The No. 1 tandem of senior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) and freshman Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) won big, 8-1, while the No. 3 duo of freshmen Connor McCann (Centerville, Mass.) and Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) also won, 9-7.
Holy Cross then swept the top four singles spots as Wierzel, junior Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.), Sullivan and Brosnan all won in straight sets. Sophomore Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.) finished the day with a win at No. 6 singles, 5-7, 6-1, 10-7. With the fifth singles win on the day, the Crusaders took home the 6-1 victory.
The Crusaders continue their home stand on Tuesday, April 12 against Springfield. Matches are set to begin at 5:00 p.m. at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts in Worcester, Mass.
1. Matt Wierzel/Ryan Sullivan (HC) def. Dan Nault/Shaun Champaneria (UNION), 8-1
2. Mike Kanner/Saoul Kurtz (UNION) def. Ajeya Shekar/Chris Das (HC), 9-8
3. Connor McCann/Chris Brosnan (HC) def. Matt Goodnow/Alex Katz (UNION), 9-7
1. Wierzel (HC) def. Nault (UNION), 6-2, 6-2
2. Das (HC) def. Champaneria (UNION), 6-1, 6-4
3. Sullivan (HC) def. Kurtz, 6-1, 6-0
4. Brosnan (HC) def. Goodnow (UNION), 6-4, 6-3
5. Kanner (UNION) def. McCann (HC), 6-8, 6-2, 11-9
6. Scot Brownell (HC) def. Katz (UNION), 5-7, 6-1, 10-7