Men's Tennis Triumphant Over AIC, 7-0
WORCESTER, Mass. – The Holy Cross men's tennis team won all nine matches against AIC, sweeping the Yellow Jackets 7-0 at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. With the final result, the Crusaders go to a record of 3-13 on the overall season while the Yellow Jackets collect a record of 0-6.
Holy Cross won all three doubles as the No.1 duo of senior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) and sophomore Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) recorded eight straight games to win 8-0. Two Crusaders won their first career matches as well as freshmen Matt Straface (Western Springs, Ill.) and Brandon Ynayan (New York, N.Y.) took victories in the No. 5 and No. 6 singles spots respectively. The rest of the singles competitors won their matches in straight sets, including a 6-0, 6-0 match won by sophomore Jeff Paadre (Sutton, Mass.), breaking the Crusaders' scoreless streak.
The Crusaders return to action on Thursday, April 7, making up the match against Hartford that was rained out on Tuesday. Matches are set to begin at 3:00 p.m. at the Hartford Tennis Courts in Hartford, Conn.
1. Matt Wierzel/Ryan Sullivan (HC) def. Derek Alves/Robert Lubold (AIC), 8-0
2. Ajeya Shekar/Chris Das (HC) def. Jakub Simicek/Mike Little (AIC), 9-8
3. Tom Casavant/Dan Sheehan (HC) def. Jake Anderson/Alex Tuohey (AIC), 8-6
1. Sullivan (HC) def. Simicek (AIC), 6-0, 6-4
2. Chris Brosnan (HC) def. Alves (AIC), 6-1, 6-0
3. Connor McCann (HC) def. Little (AIC), 6-1, 6-1
4. Jeff Paadre (HC) def. Tuohey (AIC), 6-0, 6-0
5. Matt Straface (HC) def. Andrew Rousseau (AIC), 8-0
6. Brandon Ynayan (HC) def. Eric Stutman (AIC), 8-0