Men's Tennis Falls To Lafayette, 7-0
WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Holy Cross men's tennis team suffered a 7-0 defeat against Lafayette to continue Patriot League play at the Lichtenberg Tennis Center. With the final tally, the Crusaders fall to a record of 2-11 (0-2 PL) on the overall season while the Leopards collect a record of 6-5 (1-1 PL).
Lafayette won the doubles point as juniors Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.) and Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) were able to win six games, but fell at No. 2 doubles, 8-6. Senior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) and freshman Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) took their No. 1 doubles match to extra games, but eventually lost, 9-7.
The Leopards won, in order, the No. 6, No. 2 and No. 5 singles matches and followed with two-set victories over freshman Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) in the No. 4 spot and Wierzel at No. 1 and Sullivan at No. 2.
Holy Cross finishes conference play against Lehigh at 4:00 p.m. today at the Lichtenberg Tennis Center on the campus of West Point.
1. Sinan Ipekar/Justin Haar (LAF) def. Matt Wierzel/Ryan Sullivan (HC), 9-7
2. Doug Gallagher/Will Mercorella (LAF) def. Ajeya Shekar/Chris Das (HC), 8-6
3. Scott Gelbman/Andrew Morris (LAF) def. Connor McCann/Chris Brosnan (HC), 8-0
1. Haar (LAF) def. Wierzel (HC), 6-4, 6-2
2. Gallagher (LAF) def. Das (HC), 6-4, 6-0
3. Gelbman (LAF) def. Sullivan (HC), 6-4, 6-0
4. Ipekar (LAF) def. Brosnan (HC), 6-0, 6-2
5. Kyle MacLelland (LAF) def. McCann (HC), 6-1, 6-2
6. Mercorella (LAF) def. Scot Brownell (HC), 6-0, 6-2