Men's Tennis Taken Down By Army, 7-0
WEST POINT, N.Y. – The Holy Cross men's tennis team continued to struggle to score one team point, losing all matches and dropping its first Patriot League match of the season, 7-0, to Army at the Lichtenberg Tennis Center. With the final tally, the Crusaders fall to a record of 2-10 (0-1 PL) on the overall season while the Black Knights pick up a record of 8-9 (2-0 PL).
Army took the doubles point, sweeping all three matches. The scoring woes continued for the Crusaders as freshman Connor McCann (Centerville, Mass.), junior Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.), and Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) lost their No. 5, No. 6 and No. 2 matches in straight sets respectively. Freshman Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) followed with a loss in the No. 4 singles spot while fellow newcomer Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) dropped his first conference match as the team's No. 3 singles performer, 6-4, 6-0. Senior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) was the last Crusader to finish, falling 6-3, 6-3 in the No. 1 singles spot to former Patriot League Rookie of the Year, Gary Kushnirovich.
Holy Cross continues conference action against Lafayette at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow morning. The squad will then play Lehigh at 4:00 p.m. with all matches held at the Lichtenberg Tennis Center on the campus of West Point.
1. Gary Kushnirovich/Alex Holland (ARMY) def. Matt Wierzel/Ryan Sullivan (HC), 8-3
2. Andrew Clark/Rommel Verano (ARMY) def. Ajeya Shekar/Chris Das (HC), 8-1
3. Allen Xu/Dan Shaffer (ARMY) def. Connor McCann/Chris Brosnan (HC), 8-3
1. Kushnirovich (ARMY) def. Wierzel (HC), 6-3, 6-3
2. Henry Jang-Milsten (ARMY) def. Das (HC), 6-1, 6-1
3. Verano (ARMY) def. Sullivan (HC), 6-4, 6-0
4. Joshua Cook (ARMY) def. Brosnan (HC), 6-3, 6-0
5. Xu (ARMY) def. McCann (HC), 6-3, 6-0
6. Shaffer (ARMY) def. Shekar (HC), 6-2, 6-2