NEW LONDON, Conn. – Coast Guard proved to be too much as the Holy Cross men's tennis team opened up its spring season with a 9-0 defeat against the Division III Bears at the Coast Guard Tennis Courts. With the final tally, the Crusaders go to a record of 2-7 on the overall season while the Bears collect a record of 5-2 to open up the second half of their season.
Coast Guard took the doubles points, winning all three matches. Senior Kevin Leggio (Coram, N.Y.) debuted at No. 1 doubles with freshman Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.), but the duo fell, 8-3.
The Bears swept all singles matches as well. Sullivan debuted in the No. 1 singles spot and put up a fight, but fell in straight sets, 6-2, 7-6 against Coast Guard's Nick Martin.
Holy Cross will travel to New Haven, Conn. next to play against Sacred Heart on Saturday, Feb. 19. All matches will be played at Yale's Tennis Courts beginning at 4:00 p.m.
1. Greg Mitchell/Nick Martin (CG) def. Kevin Leggio/Ryan Sullivan (HC), 8-3
2. Austin Dean/Chris Hoffman (CG) def. Chris Brosnan/Connor McCann (HC), 8-1
3. Josh Fischer/Blake Mauer (CG) def. Scot Brownell/Ajeya Shekar (HC), 8-1
1. Mitchell (CG) def. Sullivan (HC), 6-2, 7-6
2. Martin (CG) def. Brosnan (HC), 6-0, 6-2
3. Dean (CG) def. McCann (HC), 6-0, 6-2
4. Hoffman (CG) def. Shekar (HC), 6-0, 6-0
5. Fischer (CG) def. Brownell (HC), 6-1, 6-1
6. Maurer (CG) def. Jeff Paadre (HC), 6-0, 6-1