Mass. – Junior Ajeya
Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.) won in straight sets at No.
6 singles to break a 3-3 tie as the Holy Cross men's tennis team
won their second straight match, topping Siena, 4-3, at the Holy
Cross Tennis Courts. With the win, the Crusaders improve to a
record of 2-3 on the season while the Saints go to a record of 1-5
on the fall.
Siena took the doubles point, winning matches at No. 1 and No. 2. Freshmen Connor McCann (Centerville, Mass.) and Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) took the No. 3 match, 8-6, tallying their second win on the season.
Junior Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) started singles play off strong as he picked up his first dual match win of the season, winning at No. 2 singles, 6-3, 6-4. Freshman Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) followed with a 6-2, 7-6 (7-2) win in the No. 3 spot to record the team's second point. McCann breezed to a 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 5 singles after the Saints won the No. 4 and No. 1 matches, tying the score at 3-3. Shekar then finished the day with a 6-4, 6-2 victory at No. 6 singles to give the Crusaders the 4-3 win.
Holy Cross will host Hartford next, with the match scheduled for 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 6. All matches will be played at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts in Worcester, Mass.
1. Mike Amico/Peter Collins (SIE) def. Matt Wierzel/Ryan Sullivan (HC), 8-6
2. Rob Cooperman/Jarrett Siwiec (SIE) def. Chris Das/Ajeya Shekar (HC) def. (SIE), 8-4
3. Connor McCann/Chris Brosnan (HC) def. Dylan Roberts/Shawn Conroy, 8-6
1. Amico (SIE) def. Wierzel (HC), 4-6, 7-6, 7-6
2. Das (HC) def. Roberts (SIE), 6-3, 6-4
3. Sullivan (HC) def. Siwiec (SIE), 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)
4. Collins (SIE) def. Brosnan (HC), 2-6, 6-3, 3-6
5. McCann (HC) def. Conroy (SIE), 6-2, 6-1
6. Shekar (HC) def. Andre Whyte (SIE), 6-4, 6-2