Men's Tennis Rallies Past Clark, 5-2
WORCESTER, Mass. – Four consecutive wins in singles competition boosted the Holy Cross men's tennis team to a 5-2 win against Clark at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts Wednesday afternoon. The victory gives the Crusaders a record of 1-3 on the season while the Cougars move to a record of 0-2 on the fall.
Clark took the doubles point, picking up wins in the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. Juniors Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) and Ajeya Shekar (Shrewsbury, Mass.) won at No. 2, defeating Dan Hall and Brian Smith, 8-4.
Freshman Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) then tallied his first collegiate win at No. 4 singles, topping Aaron Chin, 6-3, 6-2. Fellow freshmen Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) and Connor McCann (Centerville, Mass.) also marked points for the Crusaders as Sullivan returned to his winning ways at No. 3 singles, winning 6-3, 6-0. McCann earned his first collegiate win at No. 5, tallying a 6-4, 6-0 win over Harris Rollinger.
Shekar also earned his first win of the season at No. 6 singles, rallying past Nathan Maltais, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3. Senior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) was the last singles player to finish as he edged Diego Angel, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, picking up his fifth win at No. 1 singles this fall.
Holy Cross will host Siena next, with the match scheduled for 1:00 p.m. in Sunday, Oct. 3. All matches will be played at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts in Worcester, Mass.
1. Diego Angel/Harris Rollinger (CU) def. Matt Wierzel/Ryan Sullivan (HC), 8-4
2. Chris Das/Ajeya Shekar (HC) def. Dan Hall/Brian Smith (CU), 8-4
3. Dan Stein/Aaron Chin (CU) def. Connor McCann/Chris Brosnan (HC), 8-4
1. Wierzel (HC) def. Angel (CU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Stein (CU) def. Das (HC), 6-1, 6-3
3. Sullivan (HC) def. Rollinger (CU), 6-3, 6-0
4. Brosnan (HC) def. Chin (CU), 6-3, 6-2
5. McCann (HC) def. Dan Paradee (CU), 6-4, 6-0
6. Ajeya Shekar (HC) def. Nathan Maltais (CU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-3