WORCESTER, Mass. – Sophomore Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.) picked up his first singles victory of the season in the No. 6 spot as the Holy Cross men's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision against Coast Guard at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. The loss gives the Crusaders a record of 0-3 on the season while the Bears move to a record of 2-0 on the fall.
Brownell tallied Holy Cross' first points of the match, picking up a 6-2, 6-3 victory against Anthony Foss. Senior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) took three sets to gain the second Holy Cross point, beating out Greg Mitchell 7-5, 3-6, 6-3 in the No. 1 singles spot. With the win, Wierzel improves to 4-1 at No. 1 singles so far this season.
Coast Guard would take all doubles matches and the No. 2, No. 3, No. 4 and No. 5 singles competitions. Crusader freshman Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) would put up a fight in the No. 4 singles match against Chris Hoffman, but eventually fell in three-sets, 1-6, 6-2, 6-4.
Holy Cross will participate in the Connecticut Invitational next, beginning Friday, Sept. 24. The competition will run through Sunday, Sept. 26 and starts at 9:00 p.m. each day. Matches will be held at the Connecticut Tennis Courts in Storrs, Conn.
1. Greg Mitchell/Nick Martin (CG) def. Matt Wierzel/Ryan Sullivan (HC), 8-2
2. Josh Fisher/Chris Hoffman (CG) def. Connor McCann/Chris Brosnan (HC), 8-2
3. Austin Dean/Matt Faha(CG) def. Chris Das/Ajeya Shekar (HC), 8-5
1. Wierzel (HC) def. Mitchell (CG), 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
2. Martin (CG) def. Das (HC), 6-4, 6-2
3. Dean (CG) def. Sullivan (HC), 8-6, 8-6
4. Hoffman (CG) def. Brosnan (HC), 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
5. Fisher (CG) def. McCann (HC), 6-1, 8-6
6. Scot Brownell (HC) def. Anthony Foss (CG), 6-2, 6-3