WORCESTER, Mass. – Senior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) and No. 1 doubles partner, freshman Ryan Sullivan (Medfield, Mass.) continued to shine, winning their second consecutive match together as the Holy Cross men's tennis team dropped a close 4-3 decision against Merrimack at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. The decision gives the Crusaders a record of 0-2 on the season while the Warriors collect a 1-0 record to open up their dual match play.
Wierzel and Sullivan topped Merrimack's Rishi Rajpal and Max Eppley, 9-7 to win the first match of the day. Freshmen Connor McCann (Centerville, Mass.) and Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.) then closed out the doubles point for Holy Cross, beating out Chris Barnhardt and Liam Hoare at No. 3 doubles, 8-2. The match was the first win for the two this season.
Holy Cross picked up its final points from Wierzel and Sullivan in singles action. Wierzel won his second consecutive match at No. 1 singles, surpassing Rajpal, 6-3, 7-5. Sullivan then earned the third and final point at No. 4 singles, tallying a 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 win over Barnhardt. Merrimack would take the other four singles matches, however, marking four points for the win.
Holy Cross will continue its home stand on Tuesday, Sept. 21 against Coast Guard. Matches are set to begin at 3:30 p.m. at the Holy Cross Tennis Courts in Worcester, Mass.
1. Matt Wierzel/Ryan Sullivan (HC) def. Rishi Rajpal/Max Eppley (MC), 9-7
2. Petar Golijani/Sean Pahler (MC) def. Chris Das/Ajeya Shekar (HC), 8-4
3. Connor McCann/Chris Brosnan (HC) def. Chris Barhardt/Liam Hoare (MC), 8-2
1. Wierzel (HC) def. Rajpal (MC), 6-3, 7-5
2. Eppley (MC) def. Das (HC), 6-1, 6-1
3. Golijani (MC) def. Brosnan (HC), 6-2, 6-1
4. Sullivan (HC) def. Barnhardt (MC), 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Pahler (MC) def. McCann (HC), 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
6. Hoare (MC) def. Scot Brownell (HC), 4-6, 6-2, 6-1