Men's Tennis Continues Homestand on Wednesday
Overall Record: 0-1 (0-0 PL); Last Week: 0-1
Scoreboard: Connecticut College 5, Holy Cross 2, Worcester, Mass., 9/10
Schedule: Wednesday, Sept. 15 vs. Merrimack, Worcester, Mass., 3:30 p.m.
- The Holy Cross men's tennis team continues its fall slate on Wednesday, Sept. 15 when it hosts Merrimack on the Holy Cross Tennis Courts. Match time is set for 3:30 p.m. The teams are 1-1 in the last two meetings as Holy Cross won in the fall of 2006, 5-2. Merrimack took a 4-2 win last season as senior Matt Wierzel (Garden City, N.Y.) and junior Chris Das (Melrose, Mass.) earned the two points for their team in singles action.
- This will serve as Merrimack's first dual meet of the fall, as they are fresh off a strong performance at the Wheaton Invitational as the Warriors swept all three flights. Holy Cross aims for their first win of the season after falling to Central Connecticut in the season opener on Friday, Sept. 10.
- Wierzel began the 2010 fall season just as he did the 2009 fall season, winning at No. 1 singles. He topped Central Connecticut's George King in straight sets. He will look to continue his win streak as he compiled a 15-1 record in singles competition last fall.
- Freshman Ryan Sullivan (Medford, Mass.) earned his first win as a Crusader Friday. He picked up the second and final point for Holy Cross, winning 6-1, 6-4, at No. 5 singles against the Camels' Chris Hakusui. Sullivan and Wierzel also teamed up to win at No. 1 doubles, ending Wierzel's 12-game slide in doubles play.
- Also making collegiate debuts for the Crusaders were freshmen Chris Brosnan (Garden City, N.Y.), who lost in the No. 3 singles spot, and Connor McCann (Centerville, Mass.), who played with sophomore Scot Brownell (Plymouth, Mass.) in No. 3 doubles.